Complications

"You better step back" Catarina said as she started chanting the spell. The circle around Magnus lit up. At one point Catarina chanted the spell aloud. The circle around Magnus suddenly exerted a force which threw the shadowhunters against the wall. The book dropped out of her hands and Catarina fell down on her knees exhausted. Alec got up and ran toward Magnus. The warlock had returned back into his original self but was still unconscious.

Jace and Simon stood up and ran to help Catarina. They helped her to sit on the couch. Clary walked into the room with a glass of water and handed it to her. Izzy stood there staring at Alec and Magnus. She couldn't stand seeing her brother hurt. "Why hasn't he woken up?" She asked. "Did the spell fail?" Izzy asked with tears in her eyes. "No. It didn't fail" Catarina answered sipping on her water. Simon walked up to his girlfriend and hugged her. She buried her head into his chest as she let the tears escape. "Then why is he still unconscious?" Clary asked. "The spell takes time" Catarina said. "Will he still be a warlock?" Jace asked. "Yes. He will" Catarina replied looking at Magnus and Alec.

Alec knelt down beside Magnus and picked his head up. He cradled him in his arms and brushed a strand of hair away from his eyes. "Wake up Magnus! Please. Don't give up. Come back to me. I love you Magnus. I love you so much. Wake up!" Alec yelled letting a few tears escape. But there was no response. Alec hugged him and cried.

"You know I like to wake up with a kiss Alexander" Magnus said. Alec looked up with a surprised and relief look. Before Magnus could say anything Alec crashed his lips onto Magnus'. Magnus responded by cupping Alec's cheek and pulling him closer. They broke apart and looked into each other's eyes. Their stare was broken up by people clearing their throats. Magnus rolled his eyes. Alec chuckled and stood up. He held out his hand for Magnus. Magnus took it and stood up. He walked towards the others and each of the shadowhunters took turns to hug Magnus. Izzy was the last one to hug him. "Thank you for coming back" she said. Magnus smiled at Alec and at Izzy when they broke apart.

Magnus walked to Catarina and hugged her. "Thank you for everything" Magnus said. "Hey. Its fine" Catarina said. "Don't do anything stressful okay" Catarina said and Magnus stared at her. "Stressful?" Magnus asked. Jace chuckled. "You seriously told him not to stress about anything" Jace said. "When has he ever stressed about anything" Jace joked. Clary elbowed him in the chest while everyone especially Alec and Magnus glared at him. "Ow" he said rubbing his chest where he was elbowed. "What I mean is tough spells" Catarina clarified. "So you remember everything?" Clary asked. "Not all. But about the spell and everything. Yes" Magnus replied.

"So that means your mortal?" Alec asked. "I am Alexander" Magnus said with a smile. "About that" Catarina said and sat down. "I think you all should take a seat" she said. "What happened?" Izzy asked. "There was just a change in plans during the spell" she said.

"Catarina just tell us" Magnus said. "The spell had some complications" Catarina said. "What complications?" Alec asked worried. Catarina let out a sigh. "Since you tried to counteract a rune which doesn't exist it led to some special powers" Catarina said. "What powers?" Jace asked. Catarina looked at everyone and then back at Magnus. "You are mortal Magnus. But you are also immortal" Catarina said. "That's impossible" Magnus said. "Let me explain it to you. You are mortal in flesh. But if you ever want to be immortal you just have to think about it. It will help you when your in a battlefield. You don't have to be vulnerable" Catarina explained. "But-" Magnus started but was interrupted by Alec "So does he live forever?" He asked. "No" Catarina said softly shaking his head. "Magnus is a mortal. But now he is a special warlock. He cannot be killed. He will die of course. But of old age" Catarina said. "Wow" Alec mouthed. Magnus was left speechless.

"Did I just leave Magnus Bane baffled?" Catarina asked. "I think you did" Alec replied.

Meanwhile outside Magnus' apartment Jocelyn and Luke were climbing the stairs. "I can't believe you didn't tell me Luke!" Jocelyn said. "I didn't want you to worry" Luke said as Jocelyn opened the door. "Clary?" Jocelyn called out. Clary stood up from the couch "Mom?"Clary said and hugged Jocelyn. "You're okay?" Jocelyn asked concerned. "I'm fine" Clary said breaking away from the hug. Luke nodded at Jace who in turn nodded. Luke looked at Clary and smiled. Clary walked towards Luke and hugged him also. "Simon" Jocelyn said and opened her arms. Simon came forward and hugged him.

"Thank you" Clary said. "For what?" Luke asked when they broke away. "For not telling mom until now" Clary said. "Clary!" Jocelyn yelled. "I'm sorry mom. But we didn't want you to get worried" Clary said. "You do worry a lot Jocie" Luke said walking towards his wife and holding her hand. Jocelyn let out a sigh. "You're right" she said. "I'm just happy that everyone are back to normal" Jocelyn said with a smile. "Thank you Mrs. Garroway" Simon said. "Thanks Mom" Clary said. Magnus nodded at Jocelyn with a smile.

"I love to stay here and chat but I have to give a lecture at the Academy" Catarina said grabbing her bag and nodding at Simon who in turn smiled. "I'll see you soon" she said. "Catarina! Wait!" Alec said before she could walk out the door. Alec opened the door for her and Catarina stepped out.

Alec followed her outside and closed the door. "I don't know what to say too. But Thank you" Alec said. "Alec-" Catarina started but was interrupted. "Just hear me out. I don't know what we have done without you. You helped us not only once but twice. And most of all thank you for returning him back to me. I don't know what..." Alec choked. "You don't have to say anything any more. I know you can't lose him" Catarina said with a smile. "So now go back in there and be by his side. I don't want to be late for my lecture" she said with a smile. Alec nodded "Thank you again" he said. "Have a good life Alec" she said before walking away. "I will" Alec muttered. He opened the door and joined the others.