The Art of Parenting

"Man, I'm beat" Jace says to Alec as they step out of the elevator and into the Institute's entryway.

"Yeah, me too." Alec responds, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. He slowly pulls his crossbow off his back.

"What time is it?" Jace asked and Alec looks at the watch on his wrist.

"12:36 AM" he sighs. Jace takes in a deep breath as he shrugs off his jacket and undoes his weapons belt, hanging them up on pegs. Alec does the same.

'A night of killing sewer demons under grimy Brooklyn really takes it out of you when your 3 month old kids don't allow you more than a few hours of sleep a night' Jace thought.

"How are you going home?" Jace asked. "I'm gonna call Magnus and tell him to open up a portal. I'm too tired to walk home" Alec said warily. "That's a good idea" Jace said as Alec takes his phone and dials Magnus' number. Alec and Jace say their goodbyes as Jace walks out of the weapons room. Slowly the ground begins to shake and Jace knew that Alec had portalled home already.

He passed the kitchen and library and then silently approached the door that belongs to him and Clary.

He was tempted to look through the door across the hall to check on Stephen and Angela, but since they were sleeping and he heard no screaming at the moment he didn't act on that impulse.

He crept inside and saw Clary's dark sleeping outline on the bed. He smiled to himself and headed into the bathroom to change and clean up a bit before going to bed.

Five minutes later he crawled onto his side of the bed and gently threw one arm across his wife's waist, pulling her close to him. He breathed in the scent of her freshly shampooed hair, then with a sigh drift off to sleep.

-An hour later-

"Wahhh-Ahhh! Wahhh-Ahhh!"

An amazingly loud cry from Angela makes Jace roll over, stuffing his head under his pillow.

He felt Clary shift on the other side of him, and then her hand taps his shoulder.

"Jace, can you get them" Clary mumbles, half asleep. He sighs.

"Since its one of them.. Sure" he moves when another screaming starts. Stephen woke up by his sister's cry.

"By the Angel..." Clary murmured.

"They're probably hungry Clary and much to my dismay, I can't appease them with that problem." Jace murmurs from under the pillow.

Clary sighs. "They're not hungry because I just fed them like an hour ago. They just wants to be picked up probably, and I'm positive you can do that."

"Are you sure?" Jace teases, listening to their cries.

Clary bolts upright. "Jace!" she hisses.

Jace sits up calmly, leaning over so that his lips are at her ear. "Yes dear" he breathes. He felt Clary shiver a bit.

She turns her head towards him and looks at him with narrowed green eyes.

"Go. Now." She says, sending him a glare that is shadowed by the darkness of the room. Jace rolls his eyes then heaved himself out of bed.