Chapter 2: "Good answer"

Madison walked onto the platform as the crowds of parents waited to say goodbye to their children. She pushed forth and placed her trunk onto the platform.

She took a step up onto the platform and looked to her left and then to her right. To her left was a huge hoard of students she'd rather not try to push through so she went to the right in search of an empty compartment.

As she walked past compartment doors, she would quickly glance in for a kind face or empty seats. Madison was walking down the hall when finally, "Score." she breathed. She had found an empty one. She slid the door open and walked in with her belongings in tow. She heaved her trunk onto the overhead rungs and she placed her owl's cage on to the squashy cushion of the seat by the window. She sat down beside his cage and peered out the window and her eyes landed upon a clock displaying the time. 10:59. Good timing.

Madison sat in the compartment marvelling at how vivid and amazing this dream has been. Knowing that she should probably wrap this stuff up, she reached down and gave her forearm a sharp pinch. And waited...

Nothing happened. "Okay well that's not always a guarantee." Madison thought to herself, "I'll just try something else." She then looked around for something to read. Her eyes landed on a sign warning not to open the door while the train was in motion. She had no trouble reading it. Confusion began to take over Madison. She looked down at her
hands and counted her fingers.

Ten.

She slid her feet from her flats and counted her toes. One, two, three... six.... nine, ten.... She had ten toes only ten.... Madison slid her feet back into her flats as the realization hit her...

This was real... It was all real... She was really here on the Hogwarts Express... She was really going to Hogwarts.... This was all real... So very very real. "This is perfect." Madison breathed.

She has been so lost in her own thoughts that she hadn't realized the train had already pulled out of King's Cross. She looked at the window and beamed broadly at the passing sights. Her stomach was abuzz with giddiness. This is real. It's all real and Madison was going to Hogwarts. She was going to finally fit in.

A few minutes passed and her purse that had been resting beside her fell off and out rolled a small change bag. She reached down and picked it up. She untied to little knot holding it closed and peered inside to find golden Galleons, silver Sickles, and bronze knuts.... "So when I purchase something I can say I will pay with deez knuts?" Madison wondered to herself.

Madison's thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the glass of the compartment door. Her head shot up and she shoved her things back into her purse and rose from her knelt position on the floor. A voice then asked, "Do you mind? Everywhere else is full." She looked towards the source of the question to see a ginger boy, who Madison knew was named Ron Weasley. He was flanked by Harry Potter sporting shaggy black hair, a lightning scar, and rounded glasses and Hermione Granger, the brightest witch of her age. "Not at all. " Madison responded kindly and with a light smile.

The trio made their way into the compartment. Hermione took the seat opposite Madison and smiled. Harry sat beside Hermione smiling lightly, but seemed detached and distracted. Ron plopped in the seat beside Madison. "Are you new here?"
Hermione inquired.

"Yeah I just moved here not long back from America. When we had settled in England, I got a letter saying I had been accepted here." Madison replied.

"So what year are you? You're not an ickle firstie that just looks older now are you?" Ron asked.

"No I'm fourteen. I'll be fifteen in October so I guess that means I'm in my fourth year." Madison replied with a light chuckle.

"What's your name?" Harry asked engaging in the conversation.

"Madison. And yours?" She asked even though she already knew the answer.

"I'm Harry Potter and that's Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley." Harry answered pointing the each of the group respectively.

"It's nice to meet you guys. So uh what do I need to know to survive my first year at Hogwarts?" Madison asked genuinely getting a little nervous. The group laughed wholeheartedly at her nervousness individually reminiscing on their own nervousness their first year.

"Well to start out you gotta know the houses. There's four. There's Gryffindor," Ron began, "we're all in it." he said as he did a circling finger motion acknowledging the rest of the group. "It's for all of the awesome people." Ron lowered his voice so
Hermione wouldn't hear. "Then there's Hufflepuff for all who are spineless--"

"RON!" Hermione interjected
angrily, "Madison don't listen to him. Hufflepuff is the house for those who are loyal and kind. Gryffindor is actually for the brave. Then Ravenclaw for the intelligent and then Slytherin for the cunning and ambitious."

"More like the house for complete pricks." Ron muttered under his breath.

"What did you say?" Hermione snapped.

"Nothing. Nothing important." Ron quickly amended to avoid her wrath, "So anyway, Madison, what house do you think you'll be in?"

This struck Madison. She hadn't really thought about it. And now that she was she had absolutely no idea. She thought for a moment and saw Hermione turn to Harry to say something to him because he had been very detached from the whole conversation. She heard snippets of the conversation.

They talked in hushed tones of the World Cup and a dream and Harry's godfather. Madison watched out of her peripheral vision as Harry pulled out an ink well, quill, parchment, and a little desk. He then scribbled away furiously. Madison already knew of the letters contents so she decided not to intrude and turned back to Ron who was still waiting for an answer.

"I'm not sure. I guess I'll be sorted wherever I belong. And that's all I would want." Madison was genuine in her answer. she wanted to go where she would best thrive in whatever this was. She didn't want to stand out like a sore thumb. Not anymore.

Ron smiled at her reply, "Good answer. "

A/N: okay so this chapter is a little shorter than the last. Also I could not resist the deez knuts joke it was perfect well if anyone is reading this comment and whatnot. 💛❤💚💙