Chapter 20-Part I: The Preparations

"Please?"

"No."

"Pretty please?"

"No."

"Pleeeease?!"

"No! Dammit, Cedric! For the last time, I am not helping you with this clue."

"But, Madison, please. I'm desperate."

"That much is obvious."

"Now, that's a bit rude."

Madison looks up from her book and glares angrily at Cedric, sitting opposite her on the sofa. Part of her wants to chuck the book at his pretty face, but the other half of her doesn't want to hurt the book. She closes her book with a huff before sitting upright on her end of the sofa.

"The tournament rules clearly state," Madison began as she snatches the golden egg out of Cedric's lap, turning it over in her hands, "that the champion must figure the clues out alone."

"Ah Ms. Pranks-a-lot wants to preach to me about rules? How many times have you gotten detention with Fred and George this week?"

"For your information, I haven't gotten detention this week... I had one not long ago, but that's beside the point. You signed up for this, Ced," Madison said, looking up and noticing the pleading in his eyes that was emphasised by the dark circles that were beginning to form. The boy truly looked desperate for something.

Madison scoots closer to Cedric on the couch as she passes the egg back to him. She gently places her hand atop his, giving it a slight squeeze. "Listen Ced," she began, "how about try to take a break from everyone. Even me. Go have some alone time and use it to figure this out, okay?"

"Okay... Maybe I'll just go take a bath in the Prefects' bathroom."

"You do that. Take the egg and mull things over in the hot water."

Cedric simply nods and smiles lightly before getting up and leaving the common room. Madison stretches back out on the couch and reclaims her novel, The Great Gatsby, re-immersing herself into the universe.

Madison sat there reading for a few hours before she felt a tapping on her leg. "What the f- Oh hey Grace," Madison said, looking up to see the blond haired girl standing above her. She slid herself up and moved her feet for Grace to sit. "Here, sit down. Did you work out the kinks in your plan to smuggle one of the dragons?" Madison asked, setting her book down on the coffee table.

"Yeah I did. I've perfected my potion to put all of the dragon keepers to sleep and then the other potion to calm the dragon. I personally think it will work out pretty well. But I do still need a wingman/woman if you're interested," Grace said, shooting finger guns in Madison's direction.

"Hmmm. Tempting, but I will have to turn you down. Dragons and I don't mix well, but honestly try asking Sara. I'm sure she would be willing to help."

Madison didn't realized when she met the Ravenclaw, Sara, and the Gryffindor, Audrey, that they were all good friends with Grace. She supposed it didn't surprise her though as they all had personalities that meshed well together. They thankfully had all accepted her as a friend and dragged her into their antics.

"You're right. I'll ask her later," Grace said as she better situated herself on the couch, "so tell me. Are you ready for the Yule Ball?"

"The Yule what?"

****

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since it's conception. On Christmas night, we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for a night of well-mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward. I mean this literally because the Yule Ball is first and foremost: a dance."