Chapter 14: "EXPEL THEM!"

Standing in Dumbledore's office and waiting for Professor Mcgonagall to come back from retrieving Professor Sprout was much like waiting for an execution. The twins didn't seem all that nervous, probably because they had been in this situation more times than they could count. As she waited, she tried to look anywhere, but the striking eyes of Professor Dumbledore who watched the three students curiously over his half-moon spectacles.

      Madison noticed out of the corner of her eye that the twins had become fixated on something on Dumbledore's desk, her gaze followed theirs and noticed they were staring at the small bowl of chocolates. The Professor noticed the glances, but Madison quickly looked away and pretended she hadn't been looking.

"Quickly help yourselves before Professor Mcgonagall comes back," Dumbledore said, smiling kindly.

    The twins quickly and greedily dipped their hands into the bowl as Madison shot her gaze away and tried to concentrate on one of the instruments on a high shelf. Her attention was quickly brought back to the bowl as Dumbledore cleared his throat and gestured to the bowl. He stared at her until she slowly walked to the bowl and took a single piece not wanting to be rude nor greedy. He smiled lightly and she put the wrapped chocolate into her pocket.

     Several more minutes passed before the Professors both walked into the door. Mcgonagall's lips were pulled taught into a flat line and Professor Sprout just seemed a bit confused by the situation. The door to Dumbledore's office finally closed when Filch walked in immediately shouting, "EXPEL THEM!"

     Madison had to admit it was a little hard to take him seriously when he was covered in paint and glitter, but she was sure she and Fred also looked rather ridiculous. Filch's shouts were quickly silenced by a cold look from Professor Mcgonagall.

    "Mr. Filch calmly explain what happened," Professor Mcgonagall said

    "I was cleaning one of the bathrooms when I heard an explosion nearby and when I went to investigate I saw this pest," Filch began pointing an accusing finger at George who merely smiled innocently, "throwing something into my office. When I went in I was covered in this," he finished madly gesturing to the paint and glitter covering him.

   Dumbledore nodded as Filch spoke, listening intently. Once he had finished, he turned to George and calmly asked, "Is this true, Mr. Weasley?"

     George waited a moment to respond and brought his forefinger to his mouth, pretending to be deeply in thought. When he finally responded, his eyes widened as though he had an epiphany, "Yes everything seems to be perfectly correct, except for the accusation that I am, as Mr. Filch put it, a 'pest'," George said, using air quotes, "that is simply not true. I am delightful. Right, Madison?" George finished smiling broadly as he brought all eyes onto the meek girl.

   Oh shit, Madison thought as she saw everyone waiting for her response with little patience. "Um- yeah you're right. You're delightful," Madison said, feeling her face heat up from everyone's eyes on her.

  "I meant for you to confirm my story, but thank you," George said, placing his hand over his heart dramatically, "I'm flattered."

Professors Dumbledore and Sprout chuckled a little as Professor Mcgonagall's mouth remained a flat line. "If you," Mcgonagall began, gesturing to George," threw the paint bomb into his office and you were alone in doing so then why are you two" she gestured to Madison and Fred, "also covered in paint?"

    Mcgonagall stared at Fred and Madison for an answer, but Madison had fallen silent. Her stomach was doing somersaults in fear of being expelled. Fred must have noticed her nervousness because he reached slightly to give her hand a light, reassuring squeeze before he immediately picked up and spoke for them. "There were two paint bombs and I sneezed and accidentally set the first one off," Fred used his finger to swipe under his nose, "must be coming down with something."

    Mcgonagall nodded along before, much to Madison's chagrin, turning her attention to Madison, giving her a withering glare. "Then where exactly do you fit into all of this?"

     The twins looked to her as did everyone else in the room. Madison took a deep breath. "I was helping Fred set up the paint bomb when he sneezed," she said. Out of her peripheral vision, she could see the twins smile.

  "I see, but I have to say I am disappointed in you Madison," Professor Mcgonagall said as she sighed, "Professor Sprout and I will discuss what your punishment will be so be sure to come to my classroom for your detention tonight at eight."

    Filch had begun to protest that they should be hanged in the dungeons by their toes, but Dumbledore quickly shut down his complaints. The three were told to quickly get to their dorms and clean up and then make it to their last class as soon as they could.

     The twins were leading the way out the door when Professor Dumbledore stopped Madison with a cough. She returned to his desk where he extended his hand. "Despite the circumstances, it was nice to finally meet our newest student," he said as Madison met his hand for a shake. When she was shaking his hand, she felt him press something into her hand.

   Once she left and was making her way to her dorm, she looked down to see what Dumbledore had put into her hand. She smiled when she saw two of the wrapped chocolate candies resting in her palm.

****

    Nearly an hour had passed by the time Madison had finished showering and scrubbing the paint off of her. By the time she finished getting ready, there was only fifteen minutes left in History of Magic so she didn't even worry about going. Instead she grabbed her copy of To Kill a Mockingbird from her parents and curled into her usual seat in the corner of the common room.

     The chair was far enough away from the fire that she didn't sweat, but it was close enough that the fire's warmth filled the corners of the common room. She kicked her shoes off and curled into the squishy chair and read about the spunky Scout Finch.

     She had quickly become absorbed into the town of Maycomb and it felt as though she hadn't been visiting long when a voice called her name and a hand shake in front of her face, "Earth to Madison!" the voice said as their hands shook frantically in front of her.

    Madison looked up quickly as her neck popped and her eyes peered over the tops of her glasses at Cedric. "Oh sorry, come on let's go," she said as she marked her page and closed her book and got up from the chair. The two started to head to the welcoming for the other schools.

   "Where were you at lunch?" he asked her as they exited the common room entrance barrel.

   "Oh crap I'm sorry I forgot about that I had... stuff."

  "Stuff?"

    Madison wouldn't feel right not giving him an explanation so she proceeded to tell him of her adventure with the twins. When she had finished he looked at her with his jaw dropped. 

  "Who are you and what have you done with Madison?"

  "Now if I told you that I would have to kill you," Madison said, giving him her most "withering" stare. Of course Cedric couldn't help but to burst out laughing. Madison playfully punched him on the arm as their laughter died down and they made their way to greet the guests.

A/N Okay to begin I am sorry I haven't updated in so long. I have been drowning in school work and activities and have had a hard time working on this. I also apologize it's a bit short. I was going to make it longer, but decided I needed to update so again I'm sorry plus it's probably trash, but anyway if you disagree drop a vote or leave a comment and then feel free to message me because feedback is important and so are you! 💛💙❤💚