Chapter 17: "Play it cool"

"Guys! Guys! Can I have everyone's attention? Hello?" Madison's words were drowned out under the noise of the excited chatter of the rest of the Hufflepuff house. Madison looked around for something tall and sturdy. She settled for a thick oak wood table towards the back of the room.

      Madison tried again to get everyone's attention, but her attempts were fruitless. She caught the eyes of her roommates Blaire and Mallory and they both took a stance on either side of the table where Madison was positioned. Mallory placed the tip of her wand to her throat. "Hey! Everyone shut it!" Mallory shouted, the wand projecting her voice.

    Blaire rolled her eyes and shook her head before pulling out her own wand and placing it to her throat. "What Mallory means is: please calm down so we can hear what Madison has to say," Blaire remedied.

    "No I didn-" Mallory began to refute before she was silenced with a glare from Blaire.

     "Who's Madison?" she heard someone ask their friend.

     Wow well that didn't hurt at all, but Madison pretended she hadn't heard and pushed forward. "Thanks guys. Well alright so um... I-I can see that everyone is really excited about having a Hufflepuff champion," Madison began only to have to stop so she wasn't drowned out by the cheers and applause of the House, "and I can see you guys clearly care about Cedric. I was thinking maybe we could get some food from the kitchens and throw a small party for him. Is that something you guys would be interes-" The rest of the sentence was cut off by everyone's appraisal for the idea.

     The students wasted no time rushing off to get food and decorations together. Madison hopped down from the table.

   "Thanks guys," Madison said to Mallory and Blaire.

   "No problem," Mallory said.

   "I think it's sweet what you're doing. You guys are such a cute couple," Blaire said with a large smile.

     Madison could feel her cheeks turn red and her ears were starting to burn. "Oh no no," Madison said shaking her head, "we-we're not... Cedric and I aren't..." Madison stopped for a moment and took a deep breath. Mallory and Blaire were looking at her like she was insane.

   "We're just friends," Madison said, but with the looks on their faces she could see they didn't buy it. They didn't question it as they walked off to join in the last minute party organization.

   As soon as Mallory and Blaire walked away, Madison was quickly bombarded by other students asking her what she wanted to do about the party.

   "What food should we get?"

   "What kind do decorations should we have?"

   "What if Cedric shows up before we've finished?"

   "Can we sing?"

   "Are we allowed to have this party?"

   The questions never seemed to stop and Madison hurried to answer as many as she could. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

****

  "Just distract him!" They said.

  "It should be easy!" They said.

"You are his girlfriend after all," They said.

    Madison trudged along the dark corridors angrily. "How do I just distract him and how on Earth would that be easy? And for the last time, I'm not his girlfriend!" she had wanted to scream back. She was regretting ever saying anything about a party for Cedric because everyone bombarded her as though she was the party guru.