Chapter 4: "Chop chop!"

As the sorting continued, first year after first year walked up to the stool and the Hat was placed upon their heads. Most of the time, the Hat was too large for the student's head and it covered their eyes. So small and so nervous as they were each placed in their house. Handfuls of kids were sent running to each house table and the seats along the Hufflepuff table quickly filled with happy, yet nervous kids.

     They all awaited for Dumbledore's opening speech. Madison watched as he made his way to his golden podium. When he reached his position he's eyes peered over his half moon spectacles and his arms were open wide to welcome the new
students. "I have only two words to say to you," He began, his deep voice booming around the hall. "Tuck in."

     There were sounds of gratitude from the tables as the once empty dishes filled with heaping piles of food before her very eyes.

     Her classmates began to stuff their face with food. She had no idea where to begin. After a moment of pondering she reached for a bowl nearby and began filling her plate and eating the food. The first bite melted in her mouth and her eyes widened at the taste. "I could get used to this!" she thought to herself excitedly. It wasn't until she heard chuckles from her fellow Hufflepuffs nearby that she realised she had said that out loud. Her face reddened slightly as she smiled and continued to eat.

       Sometime during the meal Cedric had turned to her once again "Madison I know that you just moved here and all, but have you heard anything about a special event taking place here?" He asked with an expectant look in his eyes. Madison swallowed her food and wracked her brain for a moment only to come up with nothing.

   "No. No I haven't sorry" she responded a little confused. He mumbled a small "no worries" and continued to pick at his plate.

    Madison wasn't sure what would happen this year. She had only just started the book and she wouldn't allow herself to watch the movies yet. The last part her mind could remember reading was the ride on the Hogwarts express. She has several ideas, but knowing Hogwarts, it couldn't possibly end well.

       Her thoughts were interrupted by loud claps of thunder and lightning bolts flashing above. The dinner course had cleared and was replaced by an endless buffet of desserts.

   Madison's eyes scanned the table and landed on a beautiful apple pie and she helped herself to a slice. This was perfect.

       After the desserts had all been devoured, the remnants had disappeared leaving the plates and tray spotless. Albus Dumbledore stood to his feet and the chatter buzzing about the Hall had fallen silent as though a gust of wind blew it all away leaving not a single bit of debris.

      "So!" began Dumbledore, smiling brightly at them all. "Now that we are all fed and watered I must once more ask for your attention, while I give out a few notices. Mr Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year been extended to include Screaming Yo-yos, Fanged Frisbees, and Ever-Bashing Boomerangs. The full list comprises some four hundred and thirty-seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr. Filch's office, if anybody would like to check it."

    Madison wasn't quite sure what any of those items were, but she was not sure she wanted to find out. She watched and she saw the corners of the Headmasters mouth twitch. "As ever, I would like to remind you all that the forest in the grounds is out-
of-bounds to students, as is the village of Hogsmeade to all below third year.

    It is also my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year." This was met as audible gasps rang around the Great Hall. Everyone was clearly too shocked to say anything.