Chapter 9: "A Madwoman at a Black Friday Sale"

Madison walks out of Moody's classroom and the hallway exploded with a word bomb as her classmates express their excitement of the class. They're all entertained and satisfied with the class. They seem to think it was a show... a parade... a display. Madison doesn't feel any of those words describe the class. She thinks it's sick and twisted.

     Madison completely absorbed in her thoughts and she just wandered in a bit of a daze.

   The only things that occupied her mind are the limo spider and Carter's distraught expression.

     "Madison! Madison!" She was pulled out of her daze when she felt Audrey shake her shoulders.

  "Madison!" Audrey shouted again. She looked at her and saw the worried expression on her face. To Audrey's side she saw Sara. She could see their mouths moving, but she wasn't listening to what they were saying. She saw Carter stand crying by the window. Carter turned to start to walk down the crowded corridor.

    "Yeah. Yeah, I'm good," Madison began interrupting the girls, "Yeah um I got to go- busy- yeah alright see ya." Madison shook out of the grip on her shoulders and pushed through the crowds.

     She pushed through the hoardes of students, colliding with shoulders and elbows, not caring that people probably thought she was insane. Finally, there was a break in the crowd and Madison started to break out in a run, but stopped when she collided with someone.

     The collision stole the floor from beneath her feet, but before she hit the floor, a strong pair of arms caught her. She looks up to see Fred Weasley staring down with his signature cheeky grin. "Hey Mads. Where's the fire?" Fred asked standing her upright.

  "Hey uh no fire," she began, reaching up to her tiptoes to catch sight of Carter, "Listen- uh- I gotta- I gotta go."

  "Hey! You guys ready for lun- wait Madison, you okay? You look tense." George said as he walked up to Fred and Madison. Madison looked to the two and started pulling away from Fred's hands on her shoulders. "Yeah yeah I'm fi- I'm fine. I gotta go, alright?" And Madison began to walk away from the twins when Fred reached out to get her wrist.

   Madison turned to look at Fred as he said, "Don't forget to send that letter, yeah?" Madison smiled and nodded in response. He let go of her wrist and she turned and her pace quickened as she looked for Carter.

****

     Madison stepped out onto the school grounds. The crisp fall air hitting her face and blowing her hair, carrying the smell of maple and freshly mown grass. Madison saw the Hufflepuff girl entering the tall Owlery on the hill and set off behind her, clutching the letter to her parents in her hand.

     She walked up the stairs and pulled open the door and walked in. Sitting a few levels from the ground on the winding stairs was Carter, tears falling down her cheeks. Madison didn't say anything at first, instead she looked around looking for her owl, Fizz. She located her owl and stroked his feathers as she prepared the letter for him to carry.

     Out of the corner of her eye she could see Carter trying to quickly wipe away her tears, trying to hide her emotions. She didn't necessarily blame her, Madison never cared for people to see her cry. Whenever she would cry she would repeat a sort of mantra to make herself not feel ashamed for crying. If it worked for Madison, then perhaps it could
work for Carter.

    "You know," Madison began after she sent her owl off, "you shouldn't feel like you can't cry in front of someone." Carter sniffled and looked up at Madison with puffy eyes. She rubbed her nose and wiped under her eye with her sweater sleeve.