Scandal (chapter seven)

Chapter 7

Scandal

    Mouche had us sorted. She’d read the entire contents of Dating Yourself into Oblivion and used her instincts to “encourage” Jet to consider coming to the Fall Fling.

    As social monitors of the year, we were totally prepared to attend, cameras in tow, by ourselves: but arm candy always made the other girls jealous. And who could resist that? Mouche left an old-fashioned note in Jet’s locker, waiting for Jet to take the bait. When she pulled into my driveway that morning looking very excited, I thought he’d maybe replied.

    “Not so much, turns out I might have been a bit previous with the note, I’ve  been up half the night doing extra research. I think I should’ve made the pursuit more of a challenge for him...meanwhile...” Mouche thrust a handful of highlighted pages in my face.

     “Guess what I’ve come up with...”

     It turned out Mouche had refined and highlighted the next entry of the Boy-Rating Diary with a specific list:

THE BOYS OF SUNRISE HIGH 

Mark Knightly

Transfer student from Loratio and England, seriously hot, very dark and broody

Jet Campbell

Also a transfer student, just as hot; recently obtained his pilot’s licence. There really doesn’t seem to be a downside to this man...

Joel Goodman

Dangerous, brutish, charming

Jack Adams

Film school tragic; owns and runs the film club every Friday lunch time

Tom Allen

Wants to be a stockbroker, possibly more interested in money than dating

Josh Klein

Art major, sci-fi fan 

Peter Williamson

Musical theatre star (a real challenge for a date), honors student 

Adam Feldman

Academic genius, slightly stooped from being bent over his microscope, doubt he has ever spoken to a female, interested in insects.

Alex Miller

Dubious moral values, rumored to run a school gambling racket

Ethan Mandel

Future concert pianist, always dragged into composing the school musical

Tobias Olson

Xbox fan, martial arts expert, quite the rebel, caught in freshman year smoking who knew what and suspended from school for a week.

Scott Riley

Boy next door (literally lives across the road)

     While Mouche was parking, I executed a few ballet twirls and a high kick up the steps before I leapt and landed on my feet near the fence. This isn’t so unusual in our school, and besides, no one was looking. Oh, except Mark. My face went red as I hastily looked away.

    “How deeply embarrassing,” Mouche said.

    “Why? I’ve got to warm up for class,” I covered, as if I wasn’t the least embarrassed.