The Wedding (chapter twenty-six)

Chapter 26

The Wedding

    Mouche and I were silent junior bridesmaids. It was a beautiful, solemn but joyous occasion, just as a wedding should be. They had a great band playing memorable songs and beautiful flowers adorning the aisles with garlands to decorate the reception tables afterwards.

     What was left of the brief fall we’d had led to a slight layer of orange crunch covering the ground and an even briefer winter which had left the slightest amount of snow. The first time it had snowed in Sunrise in thirty years, according to Mark’s aunt. The whole town was there, practically the entire school and all the parents of the Sunrise Parents and Teachers Association gathered in synchronicity. It was just the Princesses and Mouche and I who seemed to have some socialization issues. We were dressed (to add to Mouche’s disgust) in pink. I liked the dresses, and I heard Mouche grudgingly admit to Teegan once she had hers properly fitted, that she liked them too. 

    By the day of the wedding we had consolidated the dates. After the play, the mix-ups and the dates, came the joining of two like souls in Holy Matrimony. We all had little notes in our inboxes and final drafts of the content of the blog, which was yet to be published on the internet. We still hadn’t had our final group meeting, because none of us were talking.

     At the reception that followed Mr Frames” marriage to Miss Love, Jet couldn’t take his eyes off Mouche as she sat at her table between Mark and Jet. How was it she had managed not to come between those two friends? Were the boys actually more mature than the girls or was it just that they’d never let a petty emotion like jealousy get in the way of enjoying life? I think probably the latter.

     Mark looked at me then smiled and walked over to speak.

     “Phoebe, I’m so sorry about what happened...backstage and all that. Seems like I spend half my life apologising to you.”

     “Mmm… seems like it.” I wasn’t convinced.

      Suddenly Joel appeared like my knight in shining armour.

      Mark scowled at him, turned and walked over to Mouche, then asked her to dance.

      Typical.

     “Phoebe Harris I missed you more than words can say,” Joel said.

      I wanted to laugh. I didn’t believe a word Joel said and if he hadn’t taken my hand before I stood up I would never have danced with him.

     “I’m sure you had far too much to do in New York to think about me...”

     “I emailed you hundreds of times,” Joel said in a mocking way.

     “That, I find hard to believe, since I only have two emails. It was quite thrilling to hear all about your travels. I didn’t think you’d be back here in a hurry.” I said sarcastically.