Frenemies (chapter twenty-five)

Chapter 25

Frenemies

    Mouche walked towards me.

    My best friend had brought the Julliard people backstage to meet us. Was it her fault that they seemed more interested in talking to her about the possibility of a scholarship? They did say how great I was in the first two acts and Mouche looked at me with a wan smile, “I hope you can forgive me,” she whispered. Then I realised, it was my place to say, “what for?”

    I had to get over myself.

    This was not the end of the world. After all, we still hadn’t  organized dates for the prom, but I wasn’t letting her get away with taking my role and kissing my man and thinking it hadn’t  hurt me to the very core of my being.

     The Julliard representatives gave me a polite smile then walked off as Mouche and I scowled at each other.

    “How could you, Mouche? You were my best friend in the whole world!”

     Mouche looked stunned. She turned around without giving me another glance, and walked away.

     For the first time in years, Mouche and I went home without saying a word, separately and silent.

    Well, Mouche walked, I hobbled.

    My ankle was bound tightly but well on the way to healing.

    Of course, the play didn’t go off without a hitch, but it did end up being a huge hit. Rocco and Julie only ran for six nights but there was a packed house every night. Mark learnt his lines pretty quickly after his first performance (after all he had been listening to the rehearsals for months!) and really rose to the occasion. Mouche got the best reviews of her career. Thom begged her to come back to the agency as he phoned with updates on Wednesday’s audition. “It’s between her and one other girl but I will keep you posted...”

     Teegan glanced at me knowingly and said, “It’s amazing what some girls will do to get their baby sister famous...”

     “What do you mean?”

      Teegan had never really warmed to Mouche even though Mouche had made all her costumes beautifully and had really tried to be helpful once all the girls had realized their rules were somewhat skewed and they would need access to the proper advice.

     “Mouche would never kiss a boy just to get Wednesday famous.”

     “Not what I hear,” said Teegan. “It sounds like she’s been doing more than kissing. My sister told me Jet’s father owns the company making the advertisement. Seems like I didn’t have to put in a good word for her after all.”