Forever and After (chapter twenty-eight)

Chapter 28

Forever and After

    The next day, Monday, everyone at school looked at me and Mouche like we were not very nice people.

      Someone made a twisted remark that we’d just been dating boys “for the money” which was so horribly untrue.

      “Besides, there wasn’t a single monetary prize on our list,” I whispered to Mouche.

      The Princesses had reverted to type and taken out all their comments. All the nasty ones they left, they attributed to Mouche and me. But even though most people do tend to believe the first version of a story, something strange was happening.

     There was an alternative to the Princess blog that week. It was our secretly edited online dating diary. Mouche and I had only put boys on the site that we liked or had good things to say about and gradually we added girls that we had good things to say about as well. So, while the Princesses spent a few more days defaming the whole school and losing their popularity, people started coming to us for advice until Sunrise High became like a love fest of dating teenagers, all looking for tips on the best places to go and what to do and say.

    Petra had started it all in her bedroom the night of the wedding reception and had uploaded it with our permission the next day, so although the Princesses got in first and even tried to keep the items, we got in next. The Boy-Rating Diary contained all forms of evidences, and for once, we knew to tone down all our comments about the guys and make a fairly honest and accurate account of the teenage dating scene that was ongoing at Sunrise High.

   Of course, the Princesses spent an entire week publishing excerpts of the second Boy-Rating Diary (omitting their authorship) and spent another week slandering us. We held our heads high. If the boys really cared about us we knew they would listen to our versions of the story, because Mrs Jones says, “you can almost never really put off a man who is genuine about you. The man will never take someone’s word over yours, or rarely, and in case he has any doubts about something, he should come to you first...”

    And they did.

    Jet and Mark pretty much ignored what the Princesses had to say because manzamples don’t read boy-rating blogs. Of course those girls never spoke another word to us, for the rest of junior year.

    Mouche didn’t seem to mind. “Do you honestly think we’re going to see any of these people once we leave for New York?”

    “I’m more worried about getting through senior...”

    “It will all end up right in the end,” Mouche said. “I have another idea...this time It’s nothing to do with dating juniors....I think It’s time to plan senior year and then college...”

   “Because this all turned out so perfectly,” I said archly.