The Cast List (chapter eleven)

Chapter 11

The Cast List

     “Also, his mom was driving,” Mouche said as we walked through our school corridor on Monday after lunch, on our way to check the cast list for Rocco and Julie: A Teen Tragedy!

    Teegan, Tory, Brooke and Freya glared at us from behind their lockers. Their looks said it all; don’t even think you’re going to beat us to the leading roles.

    “I need to speak to you,” Teegan said to Mouche, “It’s about a certain crumpled piece of paper you left near the Century City sushi bar...”

    “I’ll have to check my schedule, Teegan, to see when I’m free. Maybe I can pencil you in. Meanwhile, I wouldn’t talk about what I’d read, if I were you...”

    “Is that a threat?”

    “No, It’s a warning...” Mouche replied.

    There was some serious history and a buzz going around that Mouche and I had already been asked to the Fall Fling by Jet and Mark. The rumor about Teegan and Tory going instead, was just that.

    The Princesses were on the warpath.

    “We know you are up to something,” Teegan accused Mouche.

    “It’s just a matter of time before we find out what,” Tory added.

    “I figure it will take them at least two weeks to work it out,” Mouche whispered.

    “Especially since there are added distractions,” I replied.

    Mr Sparks started clapping as we walked towards the notice board.

    I pretended to be nonchalant as I glanced up and saw my name and Jet’s and Teegan’s  and...Mark’s? Are they kidding? He never even auditioned. Oh, there he is next to stage management and lighting and understudying. And then there, next to the role of Julie, was my name. Tory was playing the second lead. Mouche and I were pretty excited. Tory was mortified to be relegated to the part of Julie’s “best friend.”

   “This could be interesting,” I thought.

   “Mmm...” Tory sniffed, “there are no small parts, only small actors.”

   “Keep telling yourself that, Tory.” Mouche added as we gathered our shoes for tap class.

   Mouche was to play the dream sequence “dancer Julie”, even though she hadn’t auditioned. Mr Sparks said he had some kind of contemporary dance in mind, and since Mouche was the best dancer in school, he’d like her to do it.

    “People just don’t get it Pheebs, when I say I’m giving up dance, though I love it. Let’s face it, my feet are too big to get into American Ballet Theatre anyway.”

    Performing Arts students took up the majority of the cast. Peter was playing Rocco and Mouche was also responsible for costumes and dance as well as a smaller role with one line which is “exactly” what she wanted (so she could concentrate on getting the near-perfect scores she would need for her scholarship). Mouche has always had a way of twisting Mr Sparks and Miss Tartt around her little finger. 

    Suddenly we saw Jet. Teegan had cornered him in the theatre studies hall and was monopolizing his company. He seemed very keen to get away from her.

   “Avert your eyes,” I warned Mouche, but she didn’t seem at all bothered.

   “I’d be so over him, but I’m definitely up for dating him at least once. He’s the perfect boyzample for Saturday night.”