Rocco and Julie (chapter twenty-four)

Chapter 24

Rocco and Julie

    It was opening night.

   “I just want to apologise for my crazy aunt and uncle,” Mark said from the shadows as I was about to enter the dressing room to apply my stage make-up.

   “That’s okay. The whole experience was...kind of fun.”

    “Just as long as they’re not your family, huh...” Mark said, master of the obvious.

    He had repeatedly apologised for his “unwelcoming family” even going so far as to tell me that he “can’t wait to turn eighteen so I can be out of there.” It was way harsh for him to have to live with such stuck up bores and you had to hand it to him for trying to overcome his circumstances. His personality had really improved too, or maybe he’d just finally revealed himself once we got to know him better. Perhaps we’d been too quick to pass judgement.

    The dating game had pretty much been played. We all had our favorite dates and an entire locker filled with “gifted” treasure as well as a subway map of New York and a trophy with a blank metal space ready to be engraved with the name of the winner. The yet-to-be-uploaded blog was designed and edited with out-takes, quotes and images from our many months of intense research. The research was all contained in the second Boy Rating Diary – the one we fully revealed amongst ourselves. The original diary was hidden. Mouche and I hadn’t glanced at it for days but we knew it contained early, unspoken secrets.

    We were all very proud of our game and busy acting like best friends. Teegan was still mildly in disgrace since all of us suspected her of the riding sabotage. She had apologised profusely, admitting that although she had groomed the horse, given him an extra brush, she had not noticed the pebble under the saddle and would never have let Mouche ride if she had.

    We kind of believed her.

    After all, we were besties now.

    Although, let’s face it, no two friends could ever be as close as Mouche and I.

    Everything changed on opening night.

    Gossip and chatter filled the backstage area along with tulle and denim jackets, the staples of the costume department. Nervous actors with parts both big and small gathered in the wings before the curtain came up. My costume was amazing for the last act but quite understated for the first two. I couldn’t  wait to get into it as I ran my hands over the pink tulle ball dress designed and made to fit perfectly (thanks to Mouche), and the vintage blue denim jacket and boots that would complement the tragic scene when Julie gives her life to be with Rocco in death.

    Conversations gathered in the air: talk of Act One moved on to the topic of Miss Love and Mr Frame’s upcoming wedding, Wednesday’s audition for a potentially lucrative baby commercial – these were all topics for discussion. Mouche and I are totally going to be Wednesday’s managers if she wins. Teegan even offered to put in a good word for Wednesday to get back on side with us.