Family Secrets (chapter twenty-three)

Chapter 23

Family Secrets

    Petra looked really shy and very skinny, although not totally anorexic, as some might have said.

    She smiled up at me. Petra was sorting through her wardrobe, then she  spoke in a reserved way, becoming more animated as she  made her suggestion, “I was hoping we could all go down to the skating rink next Saturday. I was going to text you.”

    “That’d be great,” I agreed. I loved to skate even though I was less than perfect at it. I enjoyed getting all dressed up in wintery clothes although it was nowhere near winter weather.

    “I’m trying to find something nice to wear. We don’t often have visitors since I’ve been here and my aunt tends to sleep in the afternoons.”

    “Oh, really? Why?”

    “Pharmaceuticals.”

    “Right,” I said, not knowing whether to laugh or commiserate. Let’s face it, all did not seem entirely “normal” in the Knightly household and I was glad to be going home to my mom’s place and also to have Mrs Mouche’s warm and loving home as a refuge. If ever I get married and have kids, I’m going to remember love is more important than money.

    “I suppose they keep her happy,” Petra said this almost like a warning. “Anyway, take a look at my stuff; I’m trying to find this shirt I bought from Selfridges.

    “Oh, you like to shop?”

    “Of course.”

    “Me too.”

     Petra continued, “But I got this in London. I love to go to Kings Road. I miss our old home.”

    “Wow, you have the most amazing closet.” Honestly, it was fit for a real Princess – well, maybe a young Queen.

    “Just like Hannah Montana,” she replied, with a hint of her brother’s wit.

    “I suppose.”

    “You’re right, I’m lucky. Come in, check it out.” Petra turned on all the lights and she had the sort of fashion haul to do those teen envy reality shows proud times a thousand.

     “You even have proper stage lights around your mirror. I love that.”

     I placed my hand on the right shirt and jeans for Petra in minutes; then I got an idea. I found some sort of vintage suit covered in plastic and said, “Hey, do you ever wear this?

     “Actually, I don’t. It’s too big for me. My aunt bought it for me to wear to a wedding I didn’t attend.”