Etiquette (chapter twenty-one)

Chapter 21

Etiquette

    After the final dates that night, we consolidated the diary, even adding Trey’s interlude with the snooty Missy. Both Mouche and I made a note that we had broken one of our vital rules regarding last minute invites, “always make sure the boy gives you advance notice of a date, otherwise he will just take you for granted. Plus, you need at least a few days to get ready, be prepared and look your best.”

   That was one rule, even if it was in the interests of spontaneity, that wouldn’t be easily broken again. 

   The next day, all the girls gathered after dress rehearsal. The run of Rocco and Julie was terrible; everything that could possibly go wrong did go wrong and I was beginning to think Thom shouldn’t even bother sending a representative from Julliard. Of course, he insisted. (Sometimes you have to let others believe in you even more than you believe in yourself or so it says in “A Girls Guide to Etiquette” - although Mouche disagrees on that one).

    “Besides, a bad dress rehearsal always means a great show,” Peter enthused.

    Backstage, during the run, Mark was mouthing the words as I said them. He’d heard them all more than once and I have to admit I was impressed with the gusto and good humor he suddenly displayed. Mark actually seemed humble in this new light.

    “Almost like Jesus when he was a carpenter,” Brooke noted.

     Even Miss Tartt was a fan (well, obviously, Miss Tartt was a fan). The scene he was lighting for the tech run went something like this:

Julie to the Priest (in confession)

I am in love with someone...so different from me. I just don’t know what to do. I have this...potion that will put me to sleep, I’m thinking of pretending to be asleep...forever. When we’ve fooled our families Rocco and I can run away together.

Priest

That could create major complications.

Paris walks in

Paris

Julie? Why are you crying? Why is my love in tears?

Paris takes Julie aside (stage whisper)

We are to be married on Thursday. Then, all of your father’s money will be mine.

Julie

I am so not in love with you.