#10

Colby drummed his fingers against the dining room table, staring out the window. The patter of his digits against the wood was loud and seemed to echo around the empty apartment. Empty. His hand seized their movements and he felt his lip quiver.

It was lonely.

He missed Sam.

Ever since Katrina and Sam's relationship became sexual, she had him over a lot more. He stayed the night with her and was constantly out during the day with her as well. It was becoming excruciating to Colby to sit alone all day in a place that had a touch of his best friend in every corner. Because this was their home that they made together. Now it was an empty room across from him, a lonely breakfast, and a silent lounge. Colby's head dropped to the table with a thud.

Along with Sam's disappearance, Katrina stopped talking to him as well. They both seemed so consumed in each other and how they could fuck now and it was pissing Colby off. Every place that Sam ever touched him seemed to burn and itch now, making him feel dirty, used. He shivered, quickly standing up and making his way towards the shower.

He twisted the faucet to the desired temperature, sitting himself down on the floor to wait for the water to warm up. He pulled his phone from his pocket. He checked the time and then his notifications. He had several from Twitter and scrolled through them without paying much attention to the words. He tapped the messaging app. Nothing. Missed calls? No. Maybe even a DM? Of course not. He tossed his phone down, the all too familiar feeling of the need to cry twisting in his stomach and scratching behind his eyes.

He roughly pressed the heels of his hands into his eyes, sighing shakily. Colby just wanted Sam to speak to him again but now he was stuck up his girlfriend's ass (quite literally) like he was when they first got together and it was killing him.

He thrust his hand under the stream of water and even though it was scalding and it hurt, he stripped himself of his clothes and climbed in. It burned every inch of his body and he roughly scrubbed away the terrible feeling, making his skin raw and even more sensitive to the water dripping down onto him. When he deemed himself abused enough, he shut the water off, climbing out and wrapping himself in a fluffy towel. His hair was curling and his body, having not properly dried, was leaving a trail of water in his wake. Upon entering the lounge, he nearly collided with another person.

Colby stumbled, almost slipping in the puddles he was leaving with his feet. His arms were grabbed and his body was balanced again and he gawked up at the perpetrator of his near-death fall. He felt the heat flood into his face as an equally flustered Sam looked him up and down. He quickly stepped away from him, instinctively tugging the towel tighter around himself. "I didn't know you'd be home. My bad." He shuffled past the other without giving him a chance to speak and slammed the door to his bedroom shut.

Colby falls heavily onto his bed, not caring if he got the duvet wet as he stared at the ceiling, letting himself become consumed by the thoughts battling in his mind. It was becoming exhausting to think. He just wanted to sleep and escape everything in the real world.

Because he broke a cardinal rule and fell in love with someone he wasn't supposed to.

Someone that was supposed to be just his friend.

Just his fuckbuddy.

No feelings to get in the way of that we're allowed.

He rolled over onto his side, face scrunching up and he let tears freely roll down his face. He shouldn't be upset, really. He knew from the beginning that after it all, Sam was going to shove him aside for Katrina. He knew and he still let himself pretend that Sam loved him and got caught up the delusion, tricking himself into almost thinking it was real.