#11

When Colby woke up the next morning, he felt like he was absolutely floating. He stretched his arms above his head with a sigh before climbing out of the mess of black and grey sheets.

He yawned, slowly trudging towards the bathroom, after grabbing clothes and a towel, to brush his teeth and shower, feeling the need to care for his appearance today for some reason. Scratch that, he knew exactly why it mattered this time.

He rocked on his heels in front of the mirror, examining his reflection carefully. Last night, Sam had confessed to him.

Once he left the room, Colby had made sure severaltimes he wasn’t having some kind of hallucination due to lack of sleeping and eating. I have something important to tell you.

His words echoed in Colby’s mind. What did that mean? He /had/ just confessed his love to his supposedly sleeping best friend. Maybe he was going to do it when he was awake?

Colby nodded to himself, twisting the shower on and ridding himself of his wrinkled outfit before climbing in. He shivered in delight, running his fingers through his hair with a sigh. This was nice. After months of rushed self-care or none at all, finally taking his time just for the hell of it. He heard the sound of someone stumbling around upstairs and his heart fluttered. Sam had to be awake. He hurried his shower just a bit and climbed out, drying his face and hair before wiping down the mirror.

He smiled at his reflection.

Sam loved him back. Not Katrina. He was going to confess to him.

Right?

________________________

Colby waited.

He waited through breakfast with Sam who handed him a coffee as soon as he walked in, smiling tiredly at him. He waited through their early morning reality-TV shows as he trash talked half the people on them, causing Sam to choke on air as he laughed. He waited through their banter filled Mario Kart session.

He waited through Sam filming his new video before handing the camera over so they could film Sam and Colby  video. He waited through their on and off editing, smiling at Sam every time they switched out. He waited and waited and waited.

And Sam didn’t say anything.

Things had somewhat gone back to a normal routine now, which Colby was entirely thankful for. He was tired of the distance and the awkward glances when they passed in the halls of their own damn home. Today, had followed a somewhat normal schedule. But why hadn't Sam said anything about his confession? Colby could have sworn that was this oh-so-important thing Sam needed to inform him of.

When his flatmate came into the office, smiling and announcing it was his turn to edit, Colby spoke up. “Are you okay?” The sudden question made Sam waver in the slightest, but he picked himself right back up, smiling again. Damn.

“Yeah, of course. Why do you ask?” The older male flopped into one of the available chairs next to Colby, refusing to make eye contact with him as he took over the computer, already starting to cut things. He wasn't even listening to the audio or watching them, for fucks sake! Sam was never good at acting, though.

“You're being weird.” That was a lie– Sam was acting normal all day–until now. “Sam. Sam, stop. You don't even know what you're cutting out.” Colby smacked his hand away from the mouse, undoing all the recently made edits. “What's up? Something on your mind?”

Sam trembled. He opened his mouth wordlessly just as his phone’s generic ringtone went on. Colby was ready to rip his hair out. So close! He was so close! “Excuse me,” Sam whispered after one glance at the caller ID. He pressed the phone to his ear with a ‘hello?’ and exited the office.

The brunette nosily trailed after him, having waited a good five minutes so Sam wouldn't know of course, and lingered in the hall to the lounge, where Sam’s conversation already became heated.

“I know, Katrina.” He spoke with pure annoyance, pinching the bridge of his nose in irritation. “Yes. Yes... I can’t help it! It's not my fault that people don't always understands things, you know?” He puffed out a breath in anger, “Okay, I'm done with this. Bye.” He ended the call, letting out a loud sound of frustration before sliding into the cushions of the sofa.

In Colby's mind, that sounded like a break up call if he'd ever heard it. He tried not to be giddy, but this was more than good for him. He’d get Sam and his attention back. He'd be able to earn his affection. No more cheating behind Katrina’s back– even if that had already ended. He wipes the happiness off his face before deciding to make an entrance.

“Sam?” He said softly, padding in to settle next to his best friend. “That call...I could hear you yelling all the way in the office. It sounded bad. Are you okay?” He was playing dumb, yes, but he went gonna confess to sticking his nose into other people’s business. Sam just shook his head and said nothing. This made Colby’s mood sour slightly.

“Sam. Really. What’s up with you?”

At this, Sam suddenly shot up from his slumped posture, turning to look at Colby directly. “Fine. You really wanna know what's up?” Colby swallowed hard, suddenly feeling afraid of what was to come rather than excited.

“Alright, I'll tell you.”

And that’s when Colby’s heart broke.