#14

Katrina trudged sleepily towards her front door when she heard a gentle knocking, checking the clock in her hallway along the way. Who in the world is pestering me at 10 at night?

“Coming, coming!” she called when the knocking started up again. She stopped to fix her ruffled hair a bit before pulling the door open.

“Sam?” Katrina’s eyes widened a bit, pulling her shaken looking fiance inside. She maneuvered him into her flat, into the lounge and onto her sofa. She sat next to him, rubbing up and down his arm gently until he looked a bit more calmed down. “Not that I’m not always happy to have you home-” Sam cringed a bit at her calling this place his home, but she didn’t notice, “-but I thought you were staying one more night with Colby before you moved and all?”

Sam shook his head, “Something happened. It’s fine. I’ll tell you later. I’m tired.”

Katrina nodded in understanding, kissing the other on his temple. Her nose shriveled in disgust, “You smell of sweat.”

Sam paled, picking at the sleeves on his jacket. “I didn’t take a cab. I walked, uh, jogged...here.”

He nearly sighed in relief when his fiancee bought his words, standing up with a sigh. “Well, if you plan on sleeping in bed you’d better shower.”

She ran her fingers through his hair affectionately, turning and returning to the bedroom with a yawn. As soon as she turned the corner, Sam pulled his phone out.

He hadn’t received any texts or calls. No angry voicemails. No passive aggressive tweets.

Nothing.

Honestly, what was I expecting, though? He dropped his phone onto one of the chairs and shuffled off to the bathroom. He took a quick shower, scrubbing himself thoroughly as if he could rid himself of all the guilt he felt with a cloth and some soap.

He wrapped himself in a towel, quietly making his way into the bedroom where he dressed himself in some of pyjamas he had in Katrina’s drawers. Sam ruffled his hair in the towel to dry it a bit more before crawling into bed, pulling the duvet high up and over his shoulders.

He’d just started to settle down, his nerves calming just for sleep, when an arm was draping over his waist. He jerked slightly, but let his fiancee cuddle him. Until her hand was dropping lower. He sat up quite abruptly, and her hand reeled away in shock. “What? What’s the matter?” she asked frantically, sitting up and placing her hands on his arm. He flinched away and Katrina’s face contorted. “You seemed so stressed. I just thought…”

“No. I’m sorry, I’m just not in the mood,” he breathed. She nodded, looking a bit ashamed. Sam bit his lip, running his fingers over her cheek. “It’s okay. It’s not your fault.” Katrina smiled at the touch, placing her hands over Sam's, scooting close to him and tugging him down for a kiss.

Their lips met softly and sweetly. Katrina pulled away, poking her fiance on the nose gently before she lied back down, cuddling into the pillow. Sam inched down into his spot again, letting the girl cuddle back up to him. He breathed out slowly, a numb feeling on his lips.

_____________________

The next morning, as Sam slept in, Katrina snaked out of the covers as quietly as possible. She nearly tripped and fell on the floor, but caught her balance with a loud huff. She quickly covered her mouth, spinning around to look at her fiance.

Luckily, he stayed happily asleep, making her grin and leave the room silently. She went through her usual morning routine of washing her face, brushing her teeth, and tending to her hair. She decided she’d get dressed when Sam was awake, and padded into the lounge.