t h r e e

alexander

It was the next morning. Alexander was lying on his bed—the one John had used to use for throwing laundry he was too lazy to clean onto, mind you—and staring at the ceiling. This was going to be his life now.

Well, for the next four years.

Anyway, as Alex finally got out of bed and into the kitchen, he was met with a very quiet scene.

Hercules was showing Lafayette some designs at the table near the dorm's kitchenette, and Lafayette was watching and listening intently while shoving his face with Lucky Charms.

John was in the kitchen, putting some cereal boxes away when Alex came into the scene.

Alexander grinned. "You didn't wait for me to put them away? I'm hungry." Amusement warmed Alex's gaze as he grinned at John, who raised an eyebrow in return.

"You're an awfully late sleeper, Alex," came his mocking response as he turned back to the cupboard.

Alexander grinned, watching John as the kid closed the cabinet and turned to face him.

"You know why. It's for a reason," Alex protested, but it didn't do him any good.

"Yes, it is. But the only reason is because you stay up until 3:30 in the morning writing."

Alex opened his mouth to defend himself, but John chuckled and cut him off.

"Alex, classes don't start for another week. You don't have to get a head-start on writing something to your Law teacher. Take a break!"

Alexander shrugged. In truth, he was still going to write. Professor Washington was going to be impressed with him if it took him three hours of sleep and ten gallons of coffee.

John tutted and headed out of the kitchen. "Hey, Hercules, do you still want to hang out with the Schuylers?"

Hercules didn't answer for a second as he finished a sketch and passed his book to Lafayette to look at. Finally, he turned around.

Alexander hadn't spoken with Mulligan much, and he thought that going and seeing whomever the "Schuylers" were would let them bond.

As well, of course, bonding with John Laurens.

Hercules finally answered. "Sure. Tell them to meet us at eleven at the coffee shop." He stood up and grabbed his sketchbook, along with Lafayette.

Alexander turned to John to ask him what to wear, but Laurens was gone, probably dressing, so Alex did the same.

hercules

The four arrived at the coffee shop five minutes to eleven. Hercules grabbed Lafayette's hand—involuntarily, actually, but once he did it he definitely noticed—and dragged him toward the counter to get some coffee.

Lafayette stood there for a second before turning to a Hercules, who was looking at the menu on the wall.

"What do I get?" came the frenchman's question, and Hercules turned to face him. "Anything. Here, look, I'll order for you."

Once they received their drinks, they headed back toward the table that Laurens and Hamilton were sitting at. As soon as Lafayette and Hercules neared, Alexander suddenly stopped talking and John started awkwardly laughing.

Confusion made Hercules furrow his brow, but he ignored it. Lafayette didn't seem to notice.

Placing the cups down, Hercules said in a teasing tone, "Were you talking about us?"

To his amusement, John fidgeted nervously and Alex started staring out the window. Suddenly, he said, "Yo, are those the Schuylers? I saw them on the corner in the city!"

John leaned back to look through the window, but Alex was blocking it.

Hercules shouldered his way past Alex and peered through. "Yeah, they are." He turned his head, watching them enter. "They're the Schuyler sisters."