t w e n t y - f o u r

lafayette's pov

A knocking on the door made Lafayette get to his feet. "I'll get it," he offered loudly, strutting toward the door—still basking in his winnings over Mario Kart a day later.

It opened. Peggy stood there, wearing a short yellow skirt and a black tank top. She grinned, holding Maria's hand. "Hey, Laf! Alex, John, Herc! This is my girlfriend, Maria Lewis!"

The girl standing next to her—who looked fairly similar to Peggy herself—wore a bright red lip, a red flower crown, and a red dress. She waved gently. "Hello. Nice to meet you all."

Lafayette took in a deep breath, about to ramble in French, before Alex cut him off. "Welcome to the gang, Maria." He nodded to her from his position on the couch. John waved, his other hand gripping his turtle as he sat on Alex's lap.

"Um, her boyfriend doesn't know I'm dating her because he's abusive and—shit." Peggy stopped talking, practically ripping her hand from Maria's.

Worry creased Lafayette's brow as he peered into the hall. Suddenly, a man came strutting down the hallway and wrapped his arms around Maria's waist. "Hey babe. What are you doing here?"

He said it sweetly, but a malicious tone in his voice worried Lafayette.

"I'm, um," she started, but broke off as she realized he wasn't actually asking her. Peggy fidgeted nervously and stepped closer to Lafayette, eyes wide.

Lafayette peers at her through the uncomfortable silence. Bruises littered her face and collarbones. "Mon ami, did—"

"It's time to go, Maria baby," Reynolds said almost bitterly, taking her by the warm and pulling her along with him down the hall. Peggy gently shut the door. "Fuck."

"Mes amis, she had bruises. Do you think—?" The Frenchman broke off.

Alex nodded. "I think so. We need to check."

John blinked. "No, don't, Alex."

"John, move. I have to go." He shifted, crawling from under his boyfriend and strolling toward the door. "Lafayette, come on. Peggy, do you know Maria's dorm?"

"I don't, but I doubt they're going there anyway. Reynold's dorm is by Jefferson's. Maria told me in case—"

Alex waved, cutting her off. "Got it. Thanks, Pegs. C'mon Laf."

Lafayette nodded, smiling gratefully at Peggy before slipping out the door after him.

herc's pov

Hercules stepped into the living room from where he was working in his and Lafayette's room.

John was sitting alone on the couch, a concerned look on his face. Hercules set down his sketches and scrambled over. "You okay?"

"Peggy stopped by. We met Maria, her girlfriend. James Reynolds came by, too. He thinks he's dating Maria. She had bruises. Laf and Alex went to check on her." John muttered in broken speech, digging his nails into his thighs. Hercules frowned.

"Shit, John. They don't know what Reynolds can do." Hercules sighed.

John shook his head vigorously. "I know. I tried to get Alex to stay, but you know him. Non-stop."

Hercules flopped onto the couch next to him. "Let's just hope they're safe."