17.

Evan didn't know what to do. It was cold in the secluded forest and he forgot to bring a jacket. He was hopelessly confused. What had happened last night? That wasn't normal was it? Was that child abuse? Was his mom safe? He tried to tell himself everything would be okay. But it wasn't okay. His mother was probably being beat because of him. Everything was wrong. He wanted Johnson to go away and leave. But for now, he had to pretend to be okay. Just pretend. Just pretend. But how can you pretend to be okay when you're broken?

***

Connor was almost falling asleep in class. History wasn't fun without Evan there to hold hands with him and whisper "no homo" jokingly. He rested his head on the desk and sneaked a look at his cracked phone. The lock screen was filled with messages from Evan, most of which read HELP! or emergency. Connor stood up and ran out of the classroom. 

"Mr. Murphy!" His teacher yelled, "Come back here right now. This is inappropriate behavior for a seventeen year old!" She put down her pen and sighed as she decided she'd just give him detention the next day.

Connor ran to the bathroom and called Evan.

 "Pick up, pick up," He whispered to himself while tapping his foot impatiently on the linoleum tiles. 

BEEP. "You have reached the voice mail of 8-9-6 4-3--" Connor hung up and tried again. Still no response. 

"If I were Evan in an emergency, where would I go?" He asked himself. Suddenly it hit him. He would be in the forest where he took him that one day after they'd been kicked out of the art museum. That forest was walking distance from Connor's house. It made perfect sense for Evan to be there. But if Evan was hiding in a forest, it meant that he was in danger.

Connor dropped his backpack as ran out of the school's doors and into his car. "C'mon, c'mon," he hit the steering wheel, trying to speed up the old car. The car finally started and Connor sped to the forest. He was way over the speed limit, but he didn't care. Evan's health and safety was more important than his. He arrived and jumped out of his car, not bothering to turn off the engine.

 "Evan!" He yelled "Evan I'm here!" The only thing he could hear was the beat of his heart and the thump of his boots.