#4. The Duchess' Lost Portrait / Chapter 1

"Take your seats ladies and gentlemen, take your seats! The auction is about to begin." The crowd of people settled down and paid attention to the enthusiastic auctioneer. He had slicked-back brown hair and wore a spiffy tuxedo. All eyes were on him as the auction began.

I was interested in buying something that had visual appeal. Something with value, something with the purpose to look at it. A lot of paintings are quite a bore these days, and what's the fun in buying something when it is blander than a rock?

I was the huge guy with the major bucks, so if anyone tried to buy what I wanted they were going to have to pay a pretty hefty price to top a self-made billionaire as myself. And from these auctions I've gotten great art, lots of satisfaction, and nights of rousing fun.

The first painting that appeared on display seemed a bit boring and generic. It was an abstract bowl of fruit with people in the background. "The starting bid is £5,000 do I hear any takers?"

"I call £6,000." A voice called out from the back.

I cocked my head to the right to see a young chap with a cigar in his mouth. He had short blond hair and a five o'clock shadow that was starting to come in pretty nicely if I do say so myself.

"Do I hear over £6,000?" The auctioneer asked the audience.

"Going once, going twice... sold! To Mr. Williams at Table 5, congratulations!" The room clapped for him, as the painting was taken off stage.

The next one was presented to the audience.

The next painting brought in was a scene of the English countryside leading into Wales. The picture was scenic, but I didn't bother bidding. I already had three English countryside paintings, and to be frank, this one didn't seem to be that special, "The bid is up to £15,000. Going once, going twice! Sold! To Mr. Sever seated at table 11!" The room clapped once again as it was polite to do so. However, the clapping was always quite redundant, to say the least. But what made the clapping worth it was when the prices would skyrocket into the heavens! Then it would become a battle of the wealthy!

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm sorry, but there will be a slight delay. The loading crew has to haul in the next work of art, and it requires extreme maintenance and care." The auctioneer stepped back as the red curtains closed on him, leaving the entire room pondering.

I put out my cigar into a gilded ashtray and popped out another one from my wife's purse. She looked over to see why I was rummaging through her belongings, but when I pulled out the cigar, there was no need for an explanation.

Elaine was a very cautious type of person, always having her eyes peeled, (especially on her enemies).

Speaking of enemies...

That blasted fool Payne was here at this event! I turned my chin over and looked behind myself to see his annoying smile and repulsive excuse of a wife! Both were insufferable to be around. He was always jolly and naïve with the whole world raining down in front of him, while his wife would try to be polite and courteous to everyone. But I'm not easily fooled; I know when someone is spewing nonsense!

Payne was a foolish man for many reasons, one being that he always tried to pin it and make me seem like I'm the bad guy when he was, in fact, the phony! I am the richest man in London, and he had no respect for my title! His wallet was minuscule to mine, with him always using the rubbish excuse, 'Well at least I give millions to charities and centers for the sick!'

He could be a richer and wiser man if he didn't spoil his money on that tomfoolery. In this world, you have to take care of yourself, not others! And especially for the poor and sick, when in fact, the only thing they do is spread disease and vermin into the city!