#5. Lunar Darkness / Chapter 10

"The ship! We need to get there as quickly as possible!"

"They probably took it over by now!"

"It's our only hope."

"Wait... I've got it!" Simon exclaimed.

"What?"

"We can contact Mr. Marchisio if we fix these wires!"

"That's an ingenious idea! He can get us out of this mess!"

"I say we fuse the wires and shut the door in case anyone tries to come in!"

Simon dropped the cut wires and quickly closed the door, slamming it which created a huge bang! We started to work on the wires, and it was beginning to get intense as we could soon hear footsteps.

"Do you hear that?" I said dropping still.

Simon listened in and halted as well, "I do! Barricade the door!"

I ran towards the door and slammed my body against it to keep it shut, "Does this thing lock?"

"Not without the key!"

"Simon just work on the wires because we're almost done with them! I'll hold the door until we can get Marchisio on a video chat!"

Simon frantically began to fiddle with the wires, fixing them back together, and as he did so, we were breathing heavily in complete silence. All we could hear were the footsteps getting louder and louder like demented drums as they walked up the corridor.

"How are those wires coming along?" I said sweating bullets.

"Almost done, this baby will be fixed up in less than a jiffy!"

"Well, you better hurry up because the footsteps are getting close!"

After more seconds of frantically waiting, Simon sprung up in joy! "It's complete, now all I have to do is send a signal! Oh God, I hope he responds!"

Simon pressed some buttons on the control board and then the screen lit up in front of us.

All of a sudden I could hear the footsteps stop, and someone pressing on the door...

We didn't dare say anything; we didn't want anyone to know that we were trying to contact Mr. Marchisio for help.

BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP! The connector went as it was trying to connect. "Shit they're going to hear what we're doing!" Simon pressed some buttons to quiet down the connector, but it was to no avail.

Suddenly the beeping stopped, and Mr. Marchisio's face popped up on the screen, "Hello boys, you've fixed it already? Fantastic job, I couldn't have asked for better scientists!"

"Mr. Marchisio we need your help! You need to send out an alert to get us! These people just lured us here; they cut the wires, and now someone's trying to get into the control room!"

Mr. Marchisio at first thought it was a prank of some sort, but from the expressions on our faces, he realized we weren't lying.

"Oh good God, no wonder why they didn't come back..."

"WHAT!" We screeched.

"Boys if you're serious, you're going to have to listen to me."

Simon pointed to the door I was keeping closed, and Marchisio understood he couldn't tell us what he wanted to say. So instead he grabbed a piece of paper off his desk and began to write a plan on it. When he finished writing, he raised the paper up for Simon and me to see.

It read, 'There is a vent behind you. Go up in it, and escape to the ship without anyone seeing you. You have your suits on, so you can reach it safely. I shall commence the ship to take off, but for me to do so you will have to come into signal with the motherboard located on it. If you do not report in 2 hours I am sending reinforcements; I wish the best of luck to you men!'

He gave us a salute, and we gave one back. This was serious.

In all of our years working for Mr. Marchisio, never has he called us men...

Simon and I quickly did as we were told. But before we could do anything, we noticed we needed to barricade the door together by moving furniture like chairs and such to block it, to give us a few seconds to escape.

"Remember to leave a piece of furniture so that we can stand on it!" I whispered averting my eyes up to the air vent.

Simon nodded his head back at me and left a small work table in the middle of the control room for us to climb on.

"Now!" Simon screamed as he jumped onto the table. He began to take off the vent with a screwdriver, and then once done started to bring his body up into the vents.

I looked over to the barricaded doorknob, and realized that someone was trying to get in!

"Holy shit!" I ran up onto the table to hoist myself up.

As I climbed into the vent, I could hear the furniture being pushed over gradually...

"Shit man hurry the fuck up!" Simon whispered as he pulled me up.

Quickly I slid into the vents, while Simon made some room for me. "Let's go man!" Simon said leading the way.

Right as we began to head down the airways, I could hear in the distance furniture being knocked over and someone entering the control room...