#5. Lunar Darkness / Chapter 4

As I could hear the alarm go off, buzzing rang throughout our appartment like an angry bee. The walls blinked blue, green, and purple, and the floor vibrated like a jackhammer.

From the time when I was a kid to now, technology really had advanced and is still improving! Machines were outnumbering a bustling population, and everything was starting to become very convenient in life, but also more artificial.

The reason why we watched classic shows like Breaking Bad, was mainly due to our fascination of the early 21st century. With it being 2087, I couldn't even imagine what the next century would hold!

Simon rolled off the couch to pick up his luggage that fell over onto the floor. I clicked our curtains on, and a control belt started to open them now letting the sunshine glisten through our apartment.

As Simon and I were getting ready, we had realized Mr. Marchisio had sent a message to us via television last night while we were sleeping. In the video, he explained that we were to wait outside of our apartment building to be picked up by the program's staff at 8:00.

Both of us snagged a quick breakfast with Simon taking a banana and me grabbing an old granola bar from the counter.

We started to turn off and lock everything while also checking to make sure that we weren't leaving anything important behind.

Simon and I were a little late, and as we bolted out of our apartment and down the five flights of stairs, we stopped when we saw a van waiting for us.

"Shit, I hope we don't get in trouble!" I said rolling my luggage out of the building.

"We're not going to get in trouble! If anything they came too early!"

I was going to retort, but before I could say anything the van's doors slid open. Mr. Marchisio was in the passenger seat with an unknown man in shades driving next to him.

"Good morning boys! Just put your things in the back and take a seat when you're done!" Mr. Marchisio said while pointing his finger to the trunk.

Both of us did as we were told, and opened the unlocked trunk and started to dump our things carefully inside, "Mr. Marchisio sounds like a pedophile right now," whispered Simon, who was now snickering.

I punched him on the side of the arm as he closed the trunk, "Dude you're going to get us fired!"

"Alright, I'll stop, just quit punching me! My arm's already covered in bruises because of you!" Simon chided as he opened the car door.

Mr. Marchisio was in the front and as always was dressed sharply. And as the driver stepped on the pedal and began to drive, Mr. Marchisio started to talk to us, "So boys, you both get a good night's sleep?"

At first, I felt as if my lips were glued together, but then Simon nudged me hard on the arm, "Huh, oh yes sir, we did."

As the quiet car ride carried on, my mind began to wander... It's odd when I thought about it; Mr. Marchisio was very professional and executive, however at the same time was also somewhat mysterious. For the rest of the ride he barely talked, except for the occasional sneeze or two, with nothing non-work related ever leaving his lips.

By the time of our arrival at the station it all seemed rather quick, and once secured, inside we were greeted by a big hall with a buffet in front of us. "Boys, eat hearty and fill up your bellies. Feast on as much as you can!"

Our mouths were watering... "Actually in fact, I have a little news for you!" Mr. Marchisio continued.

As we stared at the scrumptious banquet fit for a king, Simon snapped me out of my daze yet again. "What's the news, is there something wrong?"

"Well I hate to be the one to bear you this report, but the mission will be postponed for a few days."

"Why is that? Did the rocket fail?"

"Oh no, the rocket is superb! It's just that we are having some issues with the food supply because we didn't restock after our last mission."

"Last mission?" We both asked confused. Mr. Marchisio realized what he had just said and began to stray away from the subject.

"Not important boys, it's nothing really! Just please enjoy! As I told you, I have flown in the best chefs from all around the globe! To my surprise, if you are dissatisfied with the food or service, please come to me and I shall take care of the issue."

"Well ok, but aren't you going to eat with us?"

"Oh no, I wouldn't want to impose, and after all this is your dinner. Besides, the entire space committee and I are going to have a big banquet once this mission is complete. I'll see you guys tomorrow in the morning! And don't forget to mentally prep for the ride, because it's going to seem like a hell of a long trip!"