Chapter Fourteen~ Adrian

"Oh my lord, it is far too early and far too monday for you to be smiling like that, babe," Helen claimed the second she spotted Adrian approaching. Yes, he had seen it too. The smile that was on his face, unwavering and bright, and the new twinkle in his eyes. Even his mother, who rarely paid attention to him, had seen it, and tried to rid her son of his silly grin by telling him that none of the food in the house was his to eat so he'd have to go without breakfast. "Adri, what the fuck is wrong with you? Did your mom die or something? I haven't seen you this happy since, well, you're a happy person in general, so it's been about the span of time since I've seen you last, but I haven't see you this happy for this long, well, that's not true eit-"

    "Helen, dear, do stop talking". He pushed her gently out of the way of his locker and took his time with the dial, too happy to be worried about being late for class.

"Well you're awful bitchy this morning," she said, though she sounded more delighted with the idea than upset. Of course she would be. Helen was a  total bitch and she loved when it showed in Adrian. It always made her believe that she actually had influence over him. "What happened? You being quiet about it is really starting to piss me off". Adrian sighed, finally pulling open his locker and looking in at the space.

"What happened?" he repeated, drawing his attention to the small mirror he had hanging up and decided that he didn't like where he had put the silver barrette in his hair. He removed it, blowing his hair off of his face before handing the clip to Helen and turning to her.

"I will only help you," she said, holding the barrette between two fingers out in front of her, "if you tell me what happened". Adrian huffed in both annoyance, and to move his hair off his face once again.

"Of course I was going to tell you, idiot," he said, and Helen grinned even though he had insulted her. "You're my best friend".

They had made up after Adrian had found out about David, but the topic of Ezra was still a little sensitive. El didn't exactly trust him, and Adrian was wondering how she would take the news that not only had they gone on a date, but it was spectacular and they were most definitely going on more.

"Spit it out, Dri," she demanded, gripping his face and tilting his head back. Helen wasn't exceptionally tall for a woman. Only a bit above average at five-six, but she was still taller than Adrian at his pathetic height of five-two, so he still had to look up at her for her so she could clip the barrette in his hair, making sure there were no loose strands that would fall in his eyes during the day and drive him mad.

"Ezra and I are kind of dating," he said, and even though he was nervous about telling her, he couldn't help but smile at the words, almost not believing them himself. God. He felt so fucking lucky.

El's finger's paused, pressing against Adrian's temple as she processed the words. Her eyes were studying his face, trying to read something there, but she must not have been able to because she sighed loudly and dropped her hand. "I'm..." mad, disgusted, horrified, disappointed. There were so many negative things she could say and whatever one she chose it would break Adrian's heart. "Happy for you," she finished.

He felt his eyes widen. Out of all the things he considered that she would say, happy for you wasn't one of them. "You are?" Helen's eyes flashed, showing her amusement, and Adrian's lips curved into a small smile.

"Of course I am, Dri. You always knew how I felt about David, and I'm glad that you've found someone who isn't him". She suddenly grew very serious. "Let him know that if he hurts you I'll hunt him down and chop off his dick and feed it to him on a hot dog bun". A wince drew itself out of Adrian at this description, and he nodded quickly, simply agreeing with her because she was terrifying, not because he was actually going to share this information with nis new boyfriend. He wanted him to remain as his boyfriend for at least a little bit longer. "Good boy". She placed her hands on his shoulders and smiled down at him. "Don't look so freaked out babe. I'm really okay with it." Adrian nodded wearily. "So, is this serious or something?"