Chapter Nineteen~ Ezra

Ezra felt broken. Empty. Nothing.

Fransis's words of praise made these feelings worse, though he didn't want to show this, so he only smiled at lunch when the boy once again said, "I'm glad you came around'.

"Would you stop," Spencer snapped and Ezra just gently nudged his best friend's shoulder and Spencer scoffed. "Ezra, you can't let him do this to-"

"It was my choice," Ezra said, though his voice sounded sad. It had since he had ended things with Adrin the night before.

"You need to stop saying that," Spencer grumbled so only he could hear, "It's not true".

"Spence-"

"Just look at him, Ezra. Look at him," Spencer demanded, and Ezra couldn't help himself. He had to look at the gorgeous boy who he lov- no. Whom he despised. He had to see him, no matter how much it hurt his heart to do so.

He had almost lost it in language arts. When he got in the morning, he immediately sat in the back of the class, knowing that Adrian would have to sit somewhere in front of him and he'd be able to see him, but when the boy sat in front of the class, as he did most days, Ezra's heart broke again.

Adrian didn't even look at him when he entered, but boy did Ezra look at him. For the first time since Ezra had seen Adrian, the boy was wearing sweat pants. Grey ones, with pockets. Normally, his top half would be covered with some kind of thin fabric, but today he was wearing a simple hoodie.

And worst of all, his hair. Ezra had only seen it completely down after they made lo- fucked, but today it was hanging in his face, covering his eyes.

Ezra didn't feel better. He had dumped him so he would feel better. Ezra felt heartbroken.

Adrian was sitting at his regular table, two in front of Ezra's, and his back was facing him, along with the back of the black haired piano player. Facing Ezra was Adrian's best friend, Helen, and her lips were moving rapidly as she spoke to her best friend. Ezra watched as the conversation went on, though she seemed to be the only one speaking, and as she did, she grew angrier and angrier. When her mouth finally fall close, Adrian's shoulders shrugged, and then he stood from his spot.

Helen was staring up at him, her lips parted, and to Ezra's displeasure, he reached his hand out to the boy next to him, who was still sitting. The boy looked at his hand for a moment and then took it, allowing Adrian to pull him up. Even when he was standing, their hands stayed clasped, and Ezra looked away to Spencer, his eyes widening. "Spence".

Spencer glanced at him, and then tilted his head down, watching what was happening ahead of them. "They're leaving," he said, "I'll then you when they're- oh fuck".

"What?" Ezra asked, glancing upwards. Adrian and the piano boy were gone, but now now Helen was standing, making her way over to their table, a look of pure anger on her face. "Should I run?"

Spencer snorted. "No time to-" and then the wrath of Helen was upon them, and she was glaring down at Ezra from over Landon's head so viciously that he felt only three inches tall. "You fucker, that's right. Look afraid".

"Helen-" he began, but she wasn't having any of it.

"No. You're not allowed to talk here. I don't want to hear your voice. I actually considered wanting to hear it at one point, but that point is over. You, ass hole, have broken my best friend. He cared about you, trusted you, which is hard for him after everything he's gone through with his family, and you've ruined that. You have broken Adrian Vang and I will never forgive you". And then she walked away, and Ezra felt like crying, as he had the night before, and put his face in his hands.