Chapter Twenty-Five~ Adrian

"You'll be fine, babe," Helen said, glancing at the door again and biting her lip nervously. Once again, Adrian turned to look, only to find the space empty.

"I'm... fine, El. Are you expecting someone or something?" He asked, and then he smiled as Osmond was suddenly in the doorway. "Hey Oz!"

"Hi," Osmond said, but he looked uneasy. "Um, Helen. I saw..." he glanced at Adrian before looking back towards the girl, "someone in the lobby looking for... uh, someone. He asked me and I-"

"Did you tell him?" Helen asked and Adrian glanced at his friend in surprise for understanding whatever the fuck it is that Osmond was saying.

"Of course not". Osmond looked confused as Helen huffed loudly. "Was I supposed to?"

"You were," She claimed, and suddenly Oz's face turned sour. "Oh, Osmond. I'm sorry-"

"It's fine," he said, his voice cold and Adrian wanted to know what had just happened between his two best friends.

"Could someone please explain-"

"No," they both snapped at the same time and Adrian rolled his eyes.

"Let's just practice," Osmond said, moving across the room and taking a seat at the piano. Adrian shrugged, bringing his mouthpiece to his lips, but then ignoring his cue as Helen moved to leave.

"Where are you going?" He asked her and she looked momentarily panicked, as if she needed to think of something to say to him instead of the truth.

"Ummm," she trailed off, "the bathroom. Will you be okay without me?" She asked, her eyes worried and he rolled his eyes.

Ever since she had talked to him about smoking too much and he agreed to stop, she had been worried about his stress levels and constantly checked to see he was okay.

"Yeah El, I'm fine. You went to the bathroom like three minu- why are you running away?!" Before he could ask further questions she was out the door. He raised his eyebrows, turning to the pianist.

"What is wrong with everyone today?" he asked Oz, who was avoiding his eyes and shrugged. "Are you okay?"

"Let's take it from the allegro," the younger boy said, his voice soft and his eyes down on his hands.

"Don't you need your music?" Adrian asked, and Osmond turned his head to him then, looking up at him with his wide gray eyes as he said:

"No," and then smiled charmingly. "From the allegro".

They played through the part three times. The first two Adrian messed up on the fast part, and on the third Osmond completely stopped playing.

"Oz, I did it that time. What are you doing?" Adrian asked, and Osmond looked behind him, and then at Adrian, before he stood from the piano bench and walked away. Adrian looked at the sport that his friend hand been occupying for a long moment, and then turned to address him.

His words froze in his throat as he watched Osmond slide around Ezra to get out of the door. His fingers tightened on his saxophone and his chest ached, recalling all of the things he had said to him nearly a week before over the phone, "Leave," Adrian demanded, trying to sound strong and confident but failing miserably.

Ezra just looked at him, slowly shaking his head as if to say I'm not going anywhere.

"Fine," Adrian said, walking forward. "Then I'll go". Ezra did nothing to stop him, but when he reached the door it was slammed shut in front of him. He tried the handle but it wouldn't budge. Through the glass he could see Helen grinning at him, and then Osmond behind her looking very annoyed with the situation. Adrian turned, huffing, to face Ezra. "What do you want?"