Chapter Twenty-One~ Ezra

The problem with their early morning practices was that they ended a half an hour before the school actually opened, so they had nothing to do for that time. Most of the time the entire team would walk to the school and sit on the picnic tables that made up the outdoor launching space. Today when they went, Ezra didn't follow.

Francis turned, eyeing Ezra who was absently playing with his soccer ball, holding it on his foot and kicking it into the air before catching it with his other, not allowing it to hit the ground. "Ezra," Francis began, his voice hard, and Ezra didn't look up unti Spencer began talking.

"I'm going to stay back with him," Spence said, stepping between Ezra and Francis as if the latter was planning on lunging it him. Ezra kicked the soccer ball up again.

"He's not staying," Francis said through gritted teeth, glaring at Spencer and Ezra was disinterested in what was happening in front of him. Normally he would have a say in the argument, since it was him they were debating, but these days he just didn't seem to care about his outcome.

"We are,' Spencer claimed, and Ezra dropped his eyes just as he felt Francis's on his face.Eventually he heard a huff and the sound of angry footsteps as one of them walked away. When he looked up only Spencer remained and he smiled at him.

The weekend had been hard for Ezra. Normally he would have spent the weekend with Adrian, but he had dumped him, and before Adrian, he would spend his weekends with Spencer, who was angry at him for dumping Adrian. It was a complex situation and it annoyed Ezra greatly, especially since Spencer wasn't immediately siding with him in this situation. This is why it was particularly surprising that Spencer wanted to speak to him.

"I thought you didn't like me anymore," Ezra mumbled to his best friend, who snorted at this.

"Didn't like you?" He asked. "Ezra, you're my best friend". Ezra shrugged, letting the soccer ball fall to the ground and trapping it under his foot.

"Lose the love of my life and my best friend in the same week? I don't see why it couldn't happen," Ezra commented, and then he groaned loudly.

"You call him the love of your life," Spencer said softly and Ezra nodded.

"I've been trying not to do that. I've been trying to convince myself that I hate him but when I'm not really thinking about it the truth comes out". It was the most honest he had been with himself since him and Adrian had broken up, and it actually made him feel a bit better. Spencer sighed, looking him up and down for a moment.

"I'm worried about him," The blonde said quietly and Ezra blinked. "I talked to him the other day-" Spencer cut off as Ezra looked at him eagerly, "he wasn't... himself". Ezra closed his eyes.

"I'm worried too, Spence," he said, his voice cracking and he turned his head away from his best friend for a moment before he regained his composure.

"You're a great guy to be in love with, Ezra," Spencer said, and he was looking at him so intensely that it almost felt like he was trying to confess something to him. "Far better than me".

Ezra recalled their conversation in the hallway the passed friday. "But what about you doing anything for... him". Spencer grinned and tilted his head back towards the morning sky.

"Caught that, did you," he said and Ezra nodded slowly, even though the boy wasn't looking at him. "I'm trying to do anything for him but the one thing he actually wants is extremely difficult for me to do". Spencer looked back down at him and he seemed both nervous and sad, "but it was easy for you".

"What?" Ezra asked, sounding a bit defensive since nothing with this whole situation with Adrian seemed easy so far. "Breaking his heart?"

Spencer shook his head. "Telling people".