Missing Peggy

Steve's P.O.V:
It's been a few days since I first woke up in the hospital and I've pretty much completely healed. Everything seems to be back to normal plus Veronica here now but I can't help but think about Peggy. No matter where I am or what I'm doing, I only think about her. I wanted to stay so badly, wanting to be with her again is what started this whole mess in the first place. But I had to save Bucky. I had to go...I had to. Right?

Bucky's P.O.V:
I begrudgingly walk into Steve's room to tell him that we got a new mission. I still don't think he's ready to be in the field again, but Baner says that he's physically able to and I know that I won't be able to stop Steve from going.
"Hey, Steve..." I say as I open the door. I see him staring at a picture of Peggy but I act like I don't see it. "What are you looking at?" I ask and he quickly places it under his pillow. "oh nothing. What's up?" He asks, trying to change the subject and I go along with it. "Well we have a new mission and Tony wanted me to tell you to suit up and meet in 20." "Alright. I'll be ready real quick." Steve says, and motions to get me to leave. I head towards the door and then stop. "Steve, if you're not ready or if you need...." I begin but quickly get cut off. "I'm fine Buck. Really. I'm ok." He chuckles and I nod my head and leave.

Steve's P.O.V:
"Alright, be careful. This guy has telepathic powers. He can make you see things that aren't really there. Locals have been calling him Swindler. His real name is Adam Montgomery. So, make sure you keep these headsets on at all times. This is the only thing that protects your brain from him. Got it?" Tony asks after we landed. Everyone nodded as they put on the headsets. Bucky and I went towards the building where he was last seen, in hopes of finding him.
"So Steve, do you want to tell me what's going on with you?" Bucky suddenly asks and I quickly respond. "What are you talking about? "Well you barley said anything on the whole flight here and you were acting weird this morning. Is this about Peggy?" My face quickly turns stern and I simply say "No.", making direct eye contact with him, and then moving forward. Bucky tries to ask more questions but I shush him when I see something metallic on the ground. I pick it up and examine it and I call for Buck to come over but he doesn't say anything. I unsuspectingly turn around to find Bucky has disappeared.
I am quickly washed over with fear and I run to the other side of the building, in hopes of finding him. To my relief, I see him standing there, talking to Veronica about something. Suddenly, I turn around to a punch in the face and I let out a moan as I fall to the ground, and my headset falls off...the only protection I have. Bucky and Veronica quickly notice what's happening and they call out my name, as they run towards me. Unfortunately, it's too late. I stand up to find the mutant behind me. He put a hand on my forehead and I fall asleep, then all of a sudden we vanish.

I wake up to find myself in a room. It looks like an office in some abandoned industrial building. But for some reason, I'm not restrained or something. As I try to look for a way out, Swindler walks through the door with a big smile on his face. "Well hello Captain. How are you this fine morning...or should I say night. You've been out for quite a while no." I don't say anything and continue to look for another way out. "It won't work." He says and I try to ignore him but he continues. "It won't work! You're not really in some abandoned building. It's all in your head. This is where you want to be." And I turn to him in shock and slight anger. "What do you mean? Are you saying that I want to be here??" I yell. "No no. Captain, I'm simply saying that this is where you think I'd take you. But we're not really here. It's all an illusion...a trick!" He says cheerfully. I stare at him for a second and then ask "Well why would I 'picture being here'? Huh?" And he takes two steps forward as I take one back. "This is just what you picture,"...he looks at me deeply as if he's reading something in a book, "Oh my! Well Captain Rogers you have some baggage, now don't you? Awe. Your poor pal Bucky. Seemed like a nice man. Too bad...and oh what's this?? A...female?" I quickly turn away but he keeps speaking. "Oh yes...and a pretty one at that. Oh dear...how tragic..." he finishes, reading my entire life story. "Well
I'm sorry Captain. I wouldn't even wish that on my worse enemy." I refuse to make eye contact. "But, I'll help you out. I obviously have to kill you but I can make it at least peaceful. What if I could have a vision at would your future could be like with Ms. Carter?" I quickly look at him with hope in my eyes but then turn away, realizing it's a trick. "No." I say. "Oh come on! It's not up for debate. Say something and I won't do it." I open my mouth as if to form a word but nothing comes out. "Ok take that as a yes!" I look down in shame but don't object to his conclusion. "You're a part of a tragic tale of two star crossed lovers. Like a modern Romeo and Juliet!" He chuckles. "All right lets get started. This will hurt...1...2...3..." All of a sudden an overwhelming pain is shot throughout my body and I let out an agonizing scream.

Bucky's P.O.V:
We run over to Steve as he passes out and Swindler vanishes. "STEVE!!!!" I yell, no response. I try to shake him awake but it doesn't work. "Steve!!!! Wake up man!!! Come on!!!" I keep trying to wake him as Veronica searches for Swindler. "Guys, guys we...we need help. It's...it's Steve." I say into the coms. All of a sudden all of the avengers arrive. Bruce and Tony looks at Steve and the Bruce says, "It appears that he's being attacked psychologically and can't wake up. Let's get him back to the lab and try to run some test on him. But we need to find this guy. It my be the only chance Steve has at waking up." We all quickly pick up Steve and rush towards the jet. God please let him be ok.