COFFEE

After spending a bleary-eyed weekend adjusting to the new time zone, Lee Hae Mi had gotten a lot accomplished in her small space. She had purchased used furniture from a store a few blocks over; her room was now graced with a table for two, and she had gotten a desk to sit alongside the armoire. 

A few of her boxes had arrived in the mail, as well. Hae Mi was at least able to dress for the next work week before having to dig deep into her wallet and buy a new wardrobe for herself. Which would suck, immensely, considering how expensive clothing was in her new city. At least her favorite leotards and leggings had arrived, so she would be prepared to run rehearsal's when she arrived at work.

Hae Mi had pressed the snooze button three times before finally rousing herself from the warmth of her bed. The comforter became a heap as she halfheartedly fluffed her pillow from its ball-like shape and returned it to a normal rectangle. Her phone read 6:15 AM. No messages. Hopefully, she would have enough time to get to Big Hit Entertainment by eight o'clock on the dot. But that was wishful thinking when compared to the jam-packed traffic of Seoul on a workday.

Her jet-lag was still hanging over her head like a hangover and she had a pounding migraine that wouldn't disappear. She was heading towards a day of suffering, which was something she hadn't prepared for.

"Coffee... I need coffee."

Hae Mi groaned as she stretched out her back, working away the sleepy dregs of her night. She had stayed up much too late creating conditioning plans for the trainees at Big Hit. Plus, she was still trying to readjust her sleep schedule to match that of Seoul.

So, in theory, it would have worked.

In reality, it failed.

The scent of warm, bitter coffee began to waft through her apartment. She listened to the sounds of her neighbors overhead as she headed for the shower. Lukewarm water poured over her skin as she quickly scrubbed herself. Due to sleeping in, she only had enough time to put on light makeup, dress clothes, and grab an apple and her coffee before slipping out the door.

I should've gotten my bus pass this weekend, Hae Mi cursed herself as she hiked her backpack - holding her dance clothes, wallet, and an assortment of paperwork - higher up on her shoulder. Thankfully she had thought ahead enough to get a second cell phone on the Korean network. Her American phone would be retired for the moment until she felt the urge to return to the States.

It was a thirteen-minute walk to the nearest bus stop. From there, it would be a total of forty-seven minutes - one bus change included - to get Hae Mi from Mapo-Gu to Big Hit Entertainment in Gangnam-Gu. She just hoped no notorious Seoul traffic jams would inhibit the journey across town.

The bus stop was already overflowing with sleepy-eyed people facing the new day. Hae Mi remained plugged into her phone, refusing to look at the others around her, and chose to read the latest gossip panels instead. The hushed whispers from those around her broke through her headphones; many were speaking of the latest politics and the weather of their early June day.

Spewing gas and rumbling along, Hae Mi's bus rolled to a stop in front of the curb. Peering into the tinted windows, Hae Mi's heart fell as she realized just how packed her morning commute would be. Already, all of the seats were taken up and bodies were crammed against each other in the meager standing space that remained. She fell to the end of the line, not wanting to be bothersome to those who had bus passes, while she had a couple measly won bills to give.

When she was on stage, she felt so big. She was invincible, fearless, and no one could touch her. Hae Mi - or Jaemi, as her teachers and peers knew her in America - missed the feeling of the spotlight on her skin and the smooth stage beneath her toes. She missed creating live art for the audience who came to see her; but, now it was her turn to create live art for others.

Hae Mi tried to grasp onto that feeling as she was jostled and shoved aside during the bus ride. The feeling of defeat squashed everything by the time she switched to an equally packed bus. Sixty minutes later, at 7:54 AM, Hae Mi finally stepped down on the ground. And ran towards Big Hit Entertainment. She couldn't be late on her first day. She just couldn't.

She approached the sandy brick building with ocean blue windows.

Big Hit Entertainment.

She had officially arrived.

Hae Mi walked up the steps and through the front door, only briefly pausing to pass her credentials with the security guards, and made her way to the floor that Big Hit called their home. Cautiously, she approached the welcome desk, where a young woman stood watch.

"Can I help you?" the secretary blinked at Hae Mi, appearing slightly appalled that someone had walked into Big Hit Entertainment so easily.

"Hello," Hae Mi replied. I will be calm, I will be calm. "I'm the new assistant dance director, Lee Hae Mi."

"Oh!" the secretary's face lit up in surprise. She stood up and brushed her hands across her skirt, wiping off invisible lint. "Welcome. Bang Si Hyuk PD has been waiting for you. Follow me!"

"Thank you." Hae Mi fell into step beside the cheery secretary.

"You speak with an accent," the secretary said bluntly. "Is it American?"

Hae Mi shifted her backpack in discomfort. "I was born in Busan, but moved to the United States when I was ten."

The secretary wore a puzzled expression, as if she was trying to place Hae Mi's face.

"Jaemi Lee is my American name. I was a four-time world dance champion before I retired and went to college to become a choreographer." Hae Mi didn't understand why she found herself saying these things, but she felt that an explanation was necessary as they walked the halls of Big Hit Entertainment.

"Ah!" the secretary clapped her hands joyously. "That's where I know you from! You had a pretty large following here in Korea. One of our own, making it big in the United States. You know you're the Park Ji Sung of the dance world, right?"

A pang hit Hae Mi as they stopped before a closed frosted glass door. She hadn't realized that her home country had taken such an interest in her; for when she had left, she was nothing more than a student at a dance academy. She had been no one special until she found her home at her private art school and new dance academy. From there, she was made into a dancing star.

"My name is Kim Min Ji. If you ever need anything, you know where to find me. I'll just let Bang PD know that you're here."

Min Ji lifted her hand and tapped on the glass. A baritone voice greeted their ears as Hae Mi was ushered inside and officially began her first day as a choreographer.

*****

Things are finally starting to pick up! What do you think about Hae Mi working for Big Hit Entertainment? I'm not a dancer or an entertainer, so I hope I can do this career path justice. ^.^

I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Please vote and comment, and give this story lots of love. :)