{04} real life,

____________________________

It always like this when i see my new school, my hearts beating out of my chest and my uncontrollable breathing. I thought maybe, now i can finally get the hang of it but seeing that much of a crowd, it does not helping. It doesn't help that this is the first time i'll get into a public school. My previous schools are private.

"It's going to be okay, honey." My mom senses my anxiety kicks in. "You've been there before."

"Of course it is, mom. Its not like i have any choice other than blending in." My mom sighs. She hates when i'm like this, and it's not fair for her but it gets tiring to start over again and again.

"Honey, please. I want you to understand. We are doi—."

"Not in mood for the talk mom." I cut her off. "I understand mom, and i really do appreciate it. I just need some minute." I give her a forced smile.

"Okay, let's go home, we can try tomorrow." She says, starting to put the car on reverse.

No. I don't like postpone thing. It would be scarier the longer you wait. "No, mom. It's okay."

I took a deep breath, it's now or never. I give myself  a mental pep talk on my head then get out the car, and give my mom a nervous smile.

"You're going to be okay?" My mom's concern eyes met mine.

I nodded, trying to convince myself as well, "I've got it, mom."

She gave me one last smile, "Go break a leg, honey!"

I nodded and sprinted with my head down to the school door. Dodging every person in my way, if i get knocked down, i'm fucked.

When i opened the door, preparing myself for the worse—Almost like letting myself fall into a pit of fire—only there's something wrong. No one looks at my way. Not even a single one. I furrowed my eyebrows, confused but also really happy about it. Maybe this school wasn't really pay any attention on who's new. Maybe this school wasn't so bad after all. Maybe i could go through the day without any interruptions.

I was about to look around for the principal office, when a overly excited girl comes in front of me, offering her hand to shake.

"Hey, I'm Courtney Crimson. You must be Olivia Martin! The new transfer. You're choosing the right school." She winked, i noticed her palms still open, waiting her for a handshake. She has a black hair, and 5'4 ft—sort of? I have a guess, she's one of the top students in here.

I gave her a nervous smile and shake her hand back. "So, i'm gonna give you a tour about Liberty High, all the basic things you need to know." She started walking, i catch up with her paces.

Then she started talk, explaining the school to me. I look at the wall of the school, it mostly contains posters, my eyes scan each of the posters for any interesting event that may have came in the future. But, strangely, it contains a lot of self awareness poster, and mental health. This is the first time i've ever seen a school take these things seriously. That's a good news, then.

I decided to ask Courtney about it, "Hey, Why is there so much posters? Don't get me wrong, but most school there are only Prom or Homecoming posters all around."

"Oh, those," She also looks around to the posters, "Just a brief reminder that you're not alone and that suicide isn't an option, there's always a way. It's very important that you seek help. Anyone who has a nice heart will help you go through it."

"Okay," I nodded, "It's nice this school really took a notice on that. Some school realized it when it's too late." I said, then looks around more.

We passed a long corridor of blue lockers. People are very rowdy on the hallways, walking and hanging out on their lockers.

And then my gaze fall into a crowd of boys with the same blue and yellow jacket who laugh so damn hard, my ears ringing. First guess, jocks. I mean, even a blind guy can tell. Their auras scream don't mess with them. And, i never intended to get involved.

"Those are the basketball stars of Liberty High." Courtney says, beside me.

"Hey Courtney! New girl, huh?" One of them yells at Courtney, while his eyes raking from head to toe on my body, making me slightly—that's an understatement—super uncomfortable.

"Yep! Just doing my job showing her around." She said to them. She spins and points to another direction of the locker.

"And those," she point opposite of the boys, who are groups of girls with their cheers outfits with the signature blue and white, "are the cheerleaders." Continues Courtney.

"Of course." I said

"You have interest to join?" Courtney sweetly asked

"No. Not even a single thought." I instantly said.

Courtney chuckled "Moving on. That is your first class, and here your schedule," She hands me my schedule. "If you have any questions regarding this school, you could ask me, and i shall have the answer." I nodded

"Thank you." I thanked her. This far, not bad.

A few of the students already in class, which is now their attention is on me. Great.

I look down and walk into the further back seat, but a hand stop me. I looked up to a girl with long curly hair and blue eyes who smiled at me and say "Don't sit on the back, usually the jocks sit there. So wouldn't want that. You can sit here." She points the seat beside her. I hope to god, she's nice. And can be my friend.

I smiled and and rise my eyebrow, "Who made those such rules?" and sit beside her

"Meh, it's not a rule. Just a forewarning for you. Since you know, you're new here." She seems nice and genuine.

"Thank you for the warning, then. I'm Olivia." I offered my hand "I'm Hannah. Hannah Baker." I smiled at her and the class begins.

___________________________
________________