XIV

AVALON GILINSKY

Two weeks passed and I hadn't said a word to Sam. Matt swore to Sam that he wouldn't say anything, and I only knew of that because Matt rambled about how Sam threatened to beat him up if he said anything.

I had done a pretty good job of avoiding Sammy, and it wasn't very hard being that he didn't have any interest in talking to me. It was almost Winter Break, and I didn't care about what happened anyways. I mean, nothing could ever come out of, what this was.

He was eighteen, and leaving for college in a few months. I had no chance what-so-ever. I didn't want to see him leave, and I didn't want to be the one left behind, but I knew that nothing was going to come out of this 'relationship'. I knew I was falling for Sam, but there was no way I could form in my head that it was a healthy way of falling.

-

By the time I got home, Jack was teaching Jazz how to make mac and cheese and I decided to butt in because he was notorious for burning mac and cheese.

After I'd basically made the food myself, all three of us started the Little Mermaid, Jazz's favorite movie. Both of us laid on Jack's chest as we all began drifting off to sleep.

-

Waking up with the flash in my face wasn't ideal. I heard snickers and chuckles fill the air as I rubbed my eyes. It was definitely night by now and all I could see were tall figures in the darkness. Jack and Jazz were sleeping peacefully and I was tempted to just pass out but first I needed to see why Jack's friends were at our house on a Thursday night.

"What are you guys doing here?" I whispered, slipping under Jack's arm, careful not to wake him up.

Sammy kept his eyes off of me, not letting me have any contact of any sort with him. Seeing him was a pain but it was inevitable, Jack being a door away from me. "We came to pick Jack up for a party, but seems like he had other plans," Johnson snickered, and I rolled my eyes.

"Just let the poor guy sleep, you guys know the week he's had," Matt butts in, but everyone just brushes it off. "Exactly, that's why he needs to go to the party tonight. I heard the new girl is gonna be there. You know, 'his next meal' as he likes to call her." Johnson goes on, and I want to gag.

"Okay, either wake him up or don't, just let me take Jazz up," I say, picking her up from Jack's grasp. "Here, I'll help you," Sam says nonchalantly.

"No tha-" "It's really not a problem. You just woke up and all," Sam murmurs, taking Jazz from my arms. I roll my eyes, but follow him like a lost puppy.

After setting her in bed, Sam closes her bedroom door and pulls me aside.

"I'm sorry," Sam begins, but I don't really want to hear what he has to say. Whatever we were doing was purely physical, and I didn't want to have my first relationship be the one Sam and I were developing. "I should really go to bed," I began, Sam cutting me off, as he always does. "Can't you just let me explain?" Sam breathed, his hand ruffling his hair. "I don't know if I want to hear your explanation..." I mumble, watching him shove his hands in his pockets nervously.

"Av, I'm really sorry that I've been putting you through this," His voice barely above a whisper,"but I'm afraid to hurt you. You scare me, and I've never felt like this before. I feel vulnerable around you. I can't control myself with you. You're so addictive, you know that?" He whispers, slowly taking steps towards me. Shrugging, I looked up, his eyes meeting mine.

"But if you're addictive, then I guess I'm an addict," His voice trembled, and his hands were shaky against my cheeks as he held my face in them. "I'm going to kiss you now," Soft and gentle, but all at once, his lips were on mine, and I forgot every worry he had caused me in such a short amount of time.