XVII

AVALON GILINSKY
DISCLAIMER: I have edited this book some and there are MINOR details that have been changed. You don't have to go back and read it but just a fair warning.

The weeks leading up to Christmas were the slowest but also seemed to go by quickly. I saw less and less of Sam, maybe because of his busy schedule or maybe he was avoiding me. I chose to believe the former.

"Avi! Wait up," I heard Jack call from behind me. I turned to see him, Johnson, and Matt together, waiting for them to catch up with me.

"So Av, we are having a Christmas party at the house this weekend. Are you going to go with Dad to Phoenix or are you staying?"

"I don't know Jack. I feel like bad things only happen at these parties..." I said. I didn't feel like going to one of these parties. All that ever happened was 1) I get drunk, 2) I hook up with Sammy or 3) both.

See, bad things.

Sam and I still haven't talked in so long, but I have been getting a lot closer to Will. I finally saw Maria again, turns out she's a sophomore at my school, but we just don't have any classes together.

"C'mon Av, I know you love our parties." Johnson nudged me and I sighed but laughed along with him.

"I'll have to think about it."

-

I didn't really have to think about it. I texted Will and invited him to come to the party too, and he told me Tricia was going to tag along. I liked Tricia, I just didn't know her very well. Unlike the 3 classes I shared with Will, I didn't have any with her. But she was nice, again I just didn't know her very well.

Jingle bell rock was blasting when Will and Tricia arrived. A majority of the girls were in christmas-y outfits, while I was just in a plain red sweater dress. So you could consider it holiday spirit.

I let them in, bringing them both to the kitchen. They were both sophomores, so they had been in this scene before. Don't want to come off as a bad influence, do I?

"This is a pretty big party, Ava, how'd you manage it?" Tricia asked, taking a sip of her fanta.

Will had been trying to come up with a nickname for me for a while and when Daniel had come up with Ava, Will loved it and now that was my nickname specifically for that group. It was cute I'll admit, but it didn't compare to when Sam called me Avi.

Stop thinking about him!

"Avalon! My beer pong queen! Come here and be my partner, we haven't played together in months, girl!" I'd only be seen playing beer pong with one girl, and that's because our game was unbeatable. We were the dream team together.

"Maria! So glad you came!" She giggled at my response, dragging me over to the beer pong table I had helped Johnson set up earlier.

Will and Tricia came and joined the group that was forming, watching Maria and I beat groups one by one.

Jumping up and down and doing random little victory dances, we usually would win before the competition could get us to drink more than four cups.

"Ava! We're gonna head out. But we'll see you Monday, right?" Will yelled over the music, his lips almost against my ear.

I nodded and decided I'd walk them out. They had taken an uber just to be safe, so I had nothing to worry about.

"Thanks for having us, Avalon. It was fun." Tricia said before hopping in the uber and closing the door. Will decided to take a longer goodbye.

"Yeah, thanks Ava." He whispered, coming closer and closer to me. I can't kiss him, I still have feelings for you know who.

When he was about to kiss me, I put my hands on his chest. "I don't think that's the best idea right now," I whispered, both of us smelling like beer.

"You're right. I-I'm sorry. I...I guess I'll see you at school then?" He asked, taking a step back. I nodded, hugging him goodbye before he got in the car and left.

-

I went back inside to find Maria, and we quickly got back into the swing of things.

After a couple more rounds I was starting to feel it.

"So, I've heard you two are the talk of the party." I recognized his voice anywhere.

"Yeah, so?" I said, hand on my hip and head tilted dramatically.

Whaaat? I can't help my sassy side when I'm drunk.

"Let's see if you can beat the King of beer pong." Sammy was wear a half button up shirt, the color was just right on him. His hair was messy like he had been running his fingers through it the whole time, and I wanted to run mine through it too.

We began playing, his stare on me the whole time. His partner was Jack, who sucks by the way, and the only reason we hadn't won yet was because of Sammy.

When we finally made it in the last cup, before I could celebrate with Maria, Sammy grabbed my wrist and dragged me away from the game.

When was he going to stop playing these ones?

We started walking quicker, he led the way upstairs and into my bedroom. Surprisingly there was no one in there.

"We have to talk."