Ch.11 Wolfsbane And Handy Work

~Sarena POV~

An unnamed heaviness swallowed the room and made it hard to breathe. It wrapped around our lungs and squeezed tight like a boa constrictor. Belle's eyes were large, brown saucers as she watched the scene play out before with a kind terrified awe. It was a car accident in her eyes, no doubt. A scene that held danger but none that infringed upon her own safety. Horrifically controlled. 

My brothers had been a good two feet apart before closing the distance with their noses and foreheads pressed together as growls permeated from their chests. It wasn't long before they started to shove at each other. Something wasn't right here and I feared that it could get uglier and fast.

"Belle," I turned to her and saw fear in her eyes as she shook. "Get out of here. Now." The poor girl had just learned of werewolves existence and now she saw this. Her head rattled and her skin was a sickly green.

"No." Her voice was quiet but nonetheless defiant and strong. I wanted to smile. I had underestimated Belle. She was stronger than anyone in the pack thought her to be and I was glad for that. Whether she was a Were or not, she was powerful in her own respect. 

There was a loud smack and my head snapped back to see Callum's fists to his side as his chest heaved up and down. Beckett held his left cheek with a whimper. 

Well, sh*t.

"What the Hell, Callum!" My steps pounded through the room while I closed the gap between my fighting brothers and myself. Callum's shoulders were rigid and his hands shook at his sides. Beckett's eyes blinked, again and again, his hand still holding his left cheek. "What the f-" That's when I saw it. The tell-tale sign of wolfsbane poisoning peeking out of the collar of Callum's shirt. I looked up to his gray eyes to see the green ring on the outskirts of his iris. The dark veins stretched up Callum and Beckett's necks as they shook relentlessly. Beckett collapsed onto the floor with a loud thud.

Belle gasped. "What's happening to me!" Belle gaped at her wrists, the black veins climbing up her forearms while the green ring in her eyes glowed. Before I could respond, Callum's hand wrapped around my forearm, his breathing was shallow and ragged. "Green vial." Gasp for air. "Right Desk drawer." Another gasp for air. "Now." His eyes rolled into the back of his head as he collapsed. 

"Callum!" At first, I hadn't noticed it wasn't my own voice that screamed my dying brother's name but when I looked up to see Belle closer than she was before clutching her arms as tears pooled in her eyes, I realized it was her voice and not mine. "Sarena," Her voice cracked. "What's happening? Is he... dead? Am I dying?" Her voice was louder now but it was weak with fear.

"Not today." In one stride, I darted across the room to Callum's work desk ripping the desk drawer open. As he and promised, there was a green vial that sat next to an assortment of pens and a stapler. Within seconds I was at Belle's side. Her right hand was on Callum's chest and I could clearly see the black veins crawl up her arm at an alarming rate. Her hands shook when I handed her the vial. "Drink this. Only a sip." She nodded her head and raised the vial to her lips. Her mouth and tear-stained cheeks contorted in disgust.

"What was that? Sewage water?" Coughing, Belle handed me the vial. The veins receded and I silently thanked the Moon Goddess. Callum was next as I pried his mouth open and poured the contents of the bottle out, leaving some for Beckett. As I made my way over to Beckett, Belle spoke up. "How long will it take for them to wake up?" He voice sounded more like a croak.

"I dunno." I was a warrior with years of training and yet I felt defenseless against this poison. I stood to my full height as I stared down at Beckett's still body just waiting for him to wake up gasping. Belle yelped in surprise as Callum shot up from where he was laying.