[12] Back.

"We both want what's best for him."

"As his mother, I think distance is it."

"I'll do my best."

Mr. Janitor had meant something by that. Now, sweeping a classroom floor and thinking back on the conversation, he caught himself with that realization.

He'd do his best, not hers. Not distance.

He didn't know what to think. There was no denying it, it was nice to have someone notice and admire him after many years of only interacting with the old lady down at the garden of his apartment complex and once or twice a month, with his one friend. Besides, the boy grew on him. He was different from others his age.

Mr. Janitor wished he could convince Vergil that he was not less than the others, but far more. But he wasn't talkative enough, though, and he probably wouldn't find the right words anyway.

Someone tapped his arm hesitantly. He turned. First, he saw short, black fluff of hair in a bowl-haircut. His heart skipped a beat, dusting off.

But it was some girl. "Someone knocked over a plant. Can we borrow a broom?"

He sighed, bringing a hand to his chest. "I'll get it."

<><><><><><><>

Ethan and Stevo were in computer science class. On the laptop they shared, however, Skype was running. A square in the corner showed their faces while another bigger one had Vergil's. Something was supposedly wrong with the system and so the janitor was working on it while the students wasted time. Really, the teacher must've fucked things up again just to get her hands on Mr. Janitor, her crush.

"Come on, just come out with it. How does one get punished from coming to college?"

"Yeah." Stevo added. "Seriously, tell me. I'll take notes. That's awesome."

It was funny to Vergil how the very reason of his punishment that they were so desperate to find out was just behind them, middling around in the background of their video chat box as they were talking. Mr. Janitor, going from one computer to the other, with the teacher on his tail.

It was good to see him...

"You wouldn't understand, guys..."

"Oh, the way we wouldn't understand who raped you."

"See? You don't understand. I had just chosen the wrong words, we've been over this."

"You still won't tell us who it is."

Ethan has been silent for some time. He'd been thinking. "As a matter of fact... it's weird how you're not allowed to come to college right after your first date happened."

"Oooh! He's from our college isn't he!"

"And your mother is against it enough to keep you home for two weeks." Ethan continued. "He's a teacher isn't he."

"Taking a minor to his home to play with his nephew. He probably gets off to that shit." Stevo was getting worked up. "Sick fuck!"

Meanwhile, Vergil saw Mr. Janitor peek at the screen from the distance, having heard Stevo raise his voice. The man waved widely.