[29] Shooting star.

Vergil resumed scratching the table where he'd last left off at the previous painfully awkward kitchen meeting. At this rate he was going to make a hole right through the table.

Eirik was seated between Vergil's parents, all three adults across from Vergil as if to have first row seats at seeing him crumble into a million awkward pieces.

Gus had his hands interlocked on the table and was playing with his thumbs just as last time, lost in thought. Ella appeared to be doing her best to keep from crying.Eirik was nibbling violently on his knuckles, staring at Vergil from above his inked hand with a look that said plenty, none of which was well. If Vergil didn't know the man better, he'd say he had a good beating coming. 

Gus finally said something before Vergil got to scream his lungs out from sheer frustration at life, in general.

"Are you on heroin?"

From all possible ways to start the conversation, Vergil didn't expect Gus to chose that. Eirik kept his knuckle between his teeth as he turned to look at Eirik.

"Sorry?" he asked.

"You're twitchy and look sick." Gus said.

Eirik continued to nibble away at his hand. "I work night-shifts because of blackmail against us." he nodded at Vergil.

"Blackmail... huh." Gus hummed once he processed that weird sentence. "That's a wake up call if I ever heard one."

Eirik shrugged slowly as he always would, but his shoulders shook a little. He did look like a heroin addict, Vergil thought. This week wasn't the best week to introduce him to his parents... But somehow to Vergil he was just as attractive then as ever.

"Janitor, was it." Gus continued.

Eirik sighed audibly. "Yes. I am trash so janitor felt right for me."

This would've gone entirely different if Eirik had been in his right mind. But he was sleep deprived, trying to quit nicotine, and Vergil was doing one stupid thing after another: getting him into the night-shift mess, getting him to meet Stevo and Ethan and then ignoring his texts and calls for the entire weekend only to now have him sit down with his parents. The man was irritated, understandably so.

"Now, now." Gus waved his hands. "We've just been wanting to get to know you."

Eirik moved his eyes back on Vergil again, and the boy cowered under his gaze. This must've looked bad to his parents, but they wouldn't know Vergil deserved more than a dirty look.

"I apologize. I'm tired is all." Eirik rubbed his face with both hands and then his expression was back to his characteristic calmness. "I'm Eirik Jørgen, 40, I enjoy gardening and spending time with your son." he said sincerely.

Gus paled a little. "40 you say..."

Ella kindly pushed back her chair, stood up and left the kitchen.

Eirik looked at Gus. Gus looked away and said "That's funny is all. I'm 38 you see."

Vergil felt a splinter from the hole he was digging in the table pierce his pointer. He held in into a tight fist to keep the pain in. Any more conversations such as this and he'd lose all fingers one by one.

Gus and Eirik moved their heads as they watched Ella go, and then they both turned to look at Vergil with similar looks of bewilderment.

"I-I-I didn't- I never even- I never knew anything about you father, it's not like I-" he raised his shoulders guiltily.