[17] Mr. Janitor

Under one condition.

Mr. Janitor started nibbling on his knuckles, as he would whenever he got nervous. He did it ever since he was a kid, and seeing as that was a long time ago, the skin on his knuckles was always red, scraped and rough to the touch. Bleach and other cleaning products didn't help the wounds either.

"I'll just report you for withholding information on a missing person." he replied to the smug man in front of him. 

A Janitor raised a daring eyebrow in response. "He isn't exactly missing since I know where he is, now is he?"

Mr. Janitor sighed. "What is your condition."

The bucket of water, with the mop in it, rolled towards him. "Clean the floors for me."

Mr. Janitor looked at the bucket as it splashed some water on the floor, juts by his feet. "Is this some joke?"

The man shook his head and rolled his shoulders, his bones popping with the movement. "Na, I'm kind of tired of doing this community service bullsh!t." he scraped his stubble loudly. "If you could finish this floor for me that'd be great. I'll be out puffin' a ciggie."

With that, he nonchalantly made his way outside of the police station. Mr. Janitor wasn't a temperamental person, so he didn't react in any visible way for a while, before eventually deciding to just get it done with. 

----------

Mr. Janitor cracked his fingers one by one, cigarette in mouth. He was out, having joined A Janitor for a smoke once he finished moping the floor. The younger man lit up the cigarette for him, and he took a long, healthy drag from it before sighing out the smoke. They were now sitting outside the police station, on its entrance stairs, the floors inside the station all nice and sparkly.

"So you mean to tell me... I've been looking all day for him... and he was at my place all along."

AJ scoffed. "Yes. I walked him to the address he told me. Since you say his mother doesn't know anything about him, he must still be there waiting. Shit, he sat for two hours straight in the station last night, doing just nothing, that guy can wait."

Mr. Janitor ran both hands through his long, thin hair. He didn't say anything. He was tired and frustrated.

A Janitor slapped his back. "I don't know what your guys' deal is, but you got shit to sort out."

Mr. Janitor looked at him from the corner of his eyes. "We have no deal. He grew attached to me because of no father, is what his mother said."

"That sounds complicated." AJ hummed. "Go easy on him. He seems like a cool enough kid to keep around. Fun talking to."

Mr. Janitor slowly stood up, hands on his knees, just as an old man such as himself would. He was just about ready to go home, deal with Vergil and have it all over with. Perhaps he would even return to the college just to get things back to the way they used to be.

"Hey, thanks for the help with cleaning up." AJ yelled after him once he saw him head towards the car.

Mr. Janitor just waved a lazy hand, slumped into his car and started the engine.

------------

Vergil wasn't anywhere.

Mr. Janitor got to floor 10 in his apartment complex to see no one in front of his apartment. He looked left and right, let himself get distracted by the view outside the wall-sized window, then resumed pacing around trying to think of what to do.