[36] Take care.

Guys this is impossible. Can you believe the fanart I got from coffeebeforebed . How. Can. It. Be. Real. To. My. Eyes. I suggest that you zoom in because the details are truly amazing! I can die happy. Fanart gives me life. But then I waste it on dying happy as I said. Hi. 

 Ella heard steps thumping down the stairs towards the kitchen. There was a pause, and she knew it to be over the third step, and then the thumps continued down louder and louder until Vergil was in the kitchen.

She just finished preparing his sandwich so she held it out for him. Vergil just looked at it for a long time until Ella complied and placed it on the island counter that separated them. Only then Vergil picked it up in his hands and put it in his backpack.

He could no longer take something directly from people's hands. They would have to put it down before he took it. He used to do this before, in kindergarten.

Vergil avoided eye contact, waiting for their morning routine to unfold.

″Did you take your pills?" Ella asked in vain, her voice barely expressive.

Vergil only nodded.

Ella knew he would lie about the pills, but she knew that even if she did get him to take them, he'd go throw them up with the first occasion. He's been throwing up a lot lately: when he found a hair in his food, when someone else touched his food (even after he was done eating), if different kinds of food on his plate touched each other while he ate...

And it was all because... ″Tonight we're taking your father to the airport..." Ella murmured.

Indeed, it's been about an entire month since she spoke to Dudan about getting him two therapy sessions per week. And there were no results whatsoever... but, if anything, she knew that she was doing all that she could, paying that ridiculous amonut of money took away some of the guilt of what her child has become.

Vergi only nodded, again.

So Ella only nodded, too. ″Gus will be driving you to school now, he's waiting outside."

Vergil glanced out the window to see Gus leaning against the car, smoking and glancing at the neighborhood. He almost looked as though he belonged there, just then. The smoke of his cigarette trailed up as if time was patient with the family, as if time was standing still and nothing else would ever follow.

But college followed.

It was the last thing Vergil wanted to face on the day his father was leaving... but it had to be done. Otherwise he'd get a panic attack for skipping classes... he could barely handle being late as it was.

Vergil went out of the house. His backpack that hanged low on his hunched, bony back looked heavier than he was... his mother had to look away from his bony knees to keep from tearing up.

Just two more months until Eirik got back, she told herself... that was, if Vergil survived until then. She shook her head at the thought. There was no possible way she wasn't going to do something before it even got to that. Dudan didn't work... Neither did Vergil's friends, the artist and the gadabout... she had to do what she should've done weeks ago.

She went to look for her phone.

----------

Before going to the car, Vergil discreetly threw away his sandwich into the trash can, seeing as he didn't see his mother prepare it and it was probable that she had touched it with her bare hands.

Vergil entered the car and waited for Gus to finish his cigarette outside. When he did, Gus also entered and glanced at him before starting the car and pulling out of the driveway.