[20] Bone fire.

mister janitor and vergil at the top of the page

But when he stepped inside,he saw that Vergil was gone from the table.

In fact, he was under the table.

Eirik made his way towards the table slowly, going over possible things which he could say. There weren't many options given the context, but he thought 'get out from under the table' would do just fine.

"Get out from under the table."

Vergil shifted a little bit.

Eirik's plan had failed. Now what.

He crouched down with a grunt,his knees popping in the process. "Vergil. Why are you under the table?"

"Well... Eirik..."Vergil began shyly. "See... I am crippled by anxiety and fear. I felt that people were staring..."

"Well... they are definitely staring now."

Silence.

"So..." he continued after a good couple of minutes. "How much do you reckon you're going to sit down here?"

Vergil circled his knee with a finger. "Well... I haven't thought that far."

Eirik hummed. "Well it's a gas station, meaning it never closes. However, you'll get hungry at some point. Can you live off of crumbles on the floor?"

"I am pretty hungry." the boy murmured.

"Then how about we go eat? Then, if you're still unwell, you may come back down here."

Vergil looked up for the first time. "Do you really mean it?"

Eirik nodded.

<><><><><><><>

But even with his belly full,Vergil no longer wished to go back under the table in the gas station.

They had come to the beach and gotten hot dogs from a tiny hot dog stand, and they were now walking with naked feet through the sand. The waves calmed Vergil down since they replaced the background noise of his brain that kept nagging him with questions and doubts.

Now, at last, he could be in the moment and enjoy life for what it was. It just kind of felt like one of those times you would think back on in five years, he was sure of that. And he wanted in five years to think back on today and feel that he did everything that there was to do in the situation. He didn't want to regret not having done enough.

So he hesitantly gripped the sleeve of Eirik's black oversized pullover. He really wanted to grab his hand, but was far too shy for that, his future self would just have to deal with it.

But then the man grabbed his hand without hesitation, and Vergil was happy.

"Are you cold?" Eirik asked, squeezing his hand a little.

Vergil nodded shyly. No he wasn't cold, he was hot all over because of their proximity, but he wouldn't pass the opportunity to get the man's pullover on him. Once the man offered it, along with his loose beanie for fun more than anything, he felt that he looked funny.

He was wearing shorts. Seeing as the pullover was oversized even on Eirik, it stood on Vergil like a dress that ended above his sorry bony knees, and the only thing that kept the beanie on his head were his big aviator glasses.