[31] Play hard play hard.

image: uh-oh hello sir mister janitor please thank you

"Now let's get to work, we have lots to clean."

And get to work they did.

Vergil was about to wipe a window clean with one of the colorful sponges he'd bought. The chosen one had a pink soft side and a blue hard side. Before he got to apply the cleaning product on the glass, Eirik took hold of his wrist.

″What is this.‶ he eyed the sponge as though it was the epitome of all evil.

″Ah. I thought I'd get some funky ones so that it'd be more fun!‶ Vergil said, trying to free his wrist but failing. He... kind of liked the feel of that.

″Is just... not right.‶ Eirik took away the sponge and gave him a normal yellow-green one. With that, he got back to what he was doing, which was scrubbing chewing gum off the floor. He was wearing the rubber gloves at least. They were classic yellow, so at least Vergil got that right.

All that could be heard through the empty police station were the squeaks of the sponge against the window and distant metal music from Eirik's earplugs- only one of which was popped in so that he'd hear Vergil if the boy said anything. Other than those, just the tic-toc of the clock on the wall.

Vergil glanced at it to see that it was 3am already, and they still had the offices to clean... his eyes were feeling very heavy and dry. It was like his eyelids weren't cooperating with him anymore, trying to close on their own, so he started rubbing his sleep away- that was when his eye started burning.

″Ah- ah! Ah!‶ Vergil yelped. ″Eirik! It hurts it hurts! Th-there's window cleaner in my eye!‶

The man dropped his gum scraper and hurried over, cupping Vergil's jaw to hold his head up. ″Don't touch.‶ he slapped his hand away only to take hold of it and drag him to his cart of cleaning supplies.

There, he picked up a bottle of tap water meant for the plants and then pried Vergil's eye open using two fingers. ″Don't blink.‶

Vergil made tiny helpless noises while the man poured water in. ″Roll eye around.‶ Eirik continued to instruct and Vergil did as told. ″You can close while I dry it.‶ he pressed a clean cloth to his eye and Vergil felt that the burning was gone, instead replaced with the usual sting of having water in it.

Vergil's eye was red and puffy as he looked up at the man, blinking away the soreness. ″Th-t-thank you Mister Janitor.‶ he covered his mouth, hoping the man didn't notice his slip. He usually called him that when... excited. And, well... being taken care of like that kind of did the trick...

Eirik tapped the boy's cheek. ″Be careful...‶

″Hmm...‶ Vergil voiced. He was half-asleep, so he really wasn't thinking straight, but just then he got the idea to not be careful so that the man would give him attention.

Vergil watched Eirik get back to work and then he scanned the room left and right, up and down, looking for ways to basically endanger himself. It was harder than he would've expected, considering he lived from one accident to the next.

The boy's steps echoed through the building as he made his way down the hallway. At the end of it there was the ladder that Eirik had used to successfully replace a light-bulb that had been flickering on and off. His hands were getting less shaky lately.

Vergil raised the half of the ladder that was on wheels and started moving it closer to where Eirik was. He settled it by a tall metal closet. Eirik's eyes had followed the boy's every move, from right to left. The man put down the gum scraper once again but remained crouched down. ″Vergil?‶