Chapter Twenty Three

"Elise, come on. Go for a walk, take Alfie to the snack machine. Just do something!" Reece is on my case about moving and feeling stiff I give in and get up. He guides me to the door and Alfie seems happy to go for a walk too.

"Yeah, maybe get a shower too." Logan joins in.

"I don't even sme- Logan!" I practically jump on the bed and hug him tight enough that he should pass out again. Instead he only laughs.

"Anyone would think you care about me or something Bunny, tone it down."

"How about I knock you out for another eight hours?" I mumble sarcastically still holding him.

"Better."

Reece comes back in with the doctor and I stand by Alfie as he checks him over.

"I think you're going to be fine Mr Murphy. The nurse will be in shortly to remove your IV and then we can get you discharged." He walks out scribbling something down on his clipboard. That's it? He is awake, he is fine - that's over?

"So what did I miss?" Logan sits up and takes the water jug from the tray positioned over the end of his bed. He sways slightly, clearly dizzy and instinctively I move to help him.

"Well Alison was wearing vampire fangs and Elise managed to get the bracelet off her to then knock her out. She was taken into custody and the whole underground was terminated. No one is allowed in now unless they're with the treaty keepers and the few needing refuge were moved to another location." Reece fills Logan in and Alfie's hair keeps nudging my arm.

"Ah guys, I'm just going to take Alfie out for a bit." They both nod and following him into the corridor, I'm surprised when he returns back into the snake. I didn't think he liked the feel of the floor and as he picks me up, I'm not sure what he is doing. He moves quickly, sliding along the slippery tiles as if he was in water and I'm just along for the ride. Passing the nurses' station, I remember the way out the doctor who was seeing Reece took me through and just when I'm about to speak, he turns left instead of right and we end up in a change room.

"A shower? You want the water now?" He shakes his head and sits me in the shower cubicle in the very back, moving around me his snake wall is back in place. "What is it Alfie?"

"Safe Elise."

"Alfie, what's going on? We can't leave Reece and Logan!"

"Ssssh!" He taps my head and I squat down so I am hidden within him and he rests his head, blocking me in.

I think about commanding him again, but the whole master - demon thing doesn't sit right with me.

"Alfie, are Reece and Logan going to be ok?" I whisper. He lifts his head and looks down at me, nodding again.

Then we wait.

My legs get sore from the way I am sitting, so giving up I sit on the tiles and lean against his surprisingly warm body. I had always thought snakes were cold blooded but he wasn't a normal snake. Were the guys looking for me? They probably thought we ran away or something and I can just imagine the lecture that will follow on my return. Alfie isn't giving much up and just went I consider napping, he uncoils.

To my surprise, Reece is standing there and helps me step over the last two rows of Alfie as he doesn't completely stretch out.

"That was weird." I look back at Alfie who is staring towards the way out, oblivious to me.

"We had an arrangement." Reece shares and raising my eyebrow at him, I wait for him to explain. He doesn't.

"Can you please tell me what is going on?"