Chapter Twenty Five

I didn’t hear back from Logan or Reece after sending the message. I prayed it was because they were listening to me and letting it go – not because something had already happened to them. Having Alfie with me only helped me stay focused. Sure being here was a good thing, the demons were actually quite nice once I started to play their game, no longer arguing or attempting to work out a way out. I think because Alfie was here now, they didn’t think I’d try anything. Big mistake.

“Alfie, do you think we can get out of here?” Sitting by the river, I don’t think he had left it for more than a couple of hours since our arrival.

“No Elise. Stay.”

“Come on, we have to go to save Jordan!” Instead he put his head under the water, set on ignoring me. “I’ll just go without you then?”

One.

Two…

“No Elissse!” He yells, rising up from the water.

“Calm down, you can come with me.” I smile victoriously and if he could, I’m positive he would have rolled his eyes.

His little display has a couple of cats coming to sit on the bridge nearby and as he settles down I lay back on the grass staring up at the fake sky. So far it seems there was only one way in and out, unless you were the Kasha who just had to think it and could move where ever they wanted. Maybe I could convince Lili to get us out?

Later in the afternoon, I go back into my room and leave Alfie in there while I try and sneak into the bedroom I had seen a few days ago. With no one in there, I go straight to the computer and it won’t turn on. Picking up the phone, there was no dial tone either. Groaning, I look around for something, anything that might help me with on luck.

“Alfie, got any idea on how we can get out?” He looks around the room and shakes his head. “How did you get here?”

We had been ridiculously high up on top of a skyscraper yet he got in here. Unless he could suddenly sprout wings, or had just given humans the fright of their life by climbing up the side of the building – he couldn’t have got there.

“I found you.”

“How? Did you fly?” He shook his head again.

“Alfie feels Elise. Found her and came to keep safe!”

“I know, and I’m so happy you did. How did you get to me if you didn’t fly?”

I’m picked up with his tail and he begins to coil around me. Closing his eyes, Toyo walks in and at seeing us she instantly frowns.

“What is he doing?”

“Not sure, sometimes he likes to hug it out!” I smile innocently and as she goes to open her mouth to speak again, she falls to her knees instead. As she starts to disappear in a rush of black smoke and the demon starts to take her place, everything vanishes and I’m left staring at Alfie’s scales. That breathless feeling takes over and I try to push his tail off me to breath with no luck. As quick as it starts, it stops and looking around, I’m in his enclosure back at the Academy.

“What the hell was that?” I gasp, stepping away from him the humid air is harder to swallow after the freshness of the world the Kasha had created.

“Home Elise!” He says proudly, looking around as his tail begins to wiggle with his happiness.

“How did you do that?” Sitting down, my head feels scrambled and I need a few moments to gather my thoughts. I don’t get an answer as his head tilts to the side confused and giving up, he does a quick lap of his home. It doesn’t take long for our return to be noticed and Frank comes running in with Ms. Huntington.