Chapter Twenty Nine

Sitting beside Jordan, I tried not to admit how far out my depth I had ended up. I was, no I am an expert at getting out of difficult situations. So Selene had both of us, big deal. It was just going to piss her off that little more when we got out.

If we got out.

Jordan wasn't in great shape and looking down at him, he had been asleep now, for at least an hour. The only obvious way out was going to be the way I was put in. Getting up, I tried testing the bars of the gate. I could just make my head fit through and sadly my bones were set in place making squeezing myself out impossible. For the first time in my life, I wished I was a mouse. Reaching out, I picked up the old heavy padlock that kept us in. If I had something sharp and pointy I could try picking the lock, but that wasn't really an option.

"Elise?" Jordan yawns, moving to stretch and he winces slightly. Going back to his side, he frowns making him look so much like Dad it's scary considering the twenty or so years he had on him.

"How you doing?"

Brushing back his hair from his forehead, his head rolled lazily to the side and his eyes glazed over in such a way I'd think he was about to cry. Jordan doesn't cry. Ever.

"Jordan? Hey, we'll get out of here." Seeing him so defeated made me panic. What had I walked into? It's like when you see your parents cry, you know shit is bad.

"I'm so, so sorry." He hung his head in hands and pushed me away. "It's my fault your here!"

"No, it's mine. I don't care about the bigger picture, we'll get out of here and put that stupid mutt in her place! Jord, come on. I know it's been tough, but-"

"You say that now. This whole time I was so stupid and it's all my fault! I shouldn't have stayed away, I should've come home and told Dad. I thought I was doing the right thing and by the time I worked out what was going on it was too late." His voice was shaky, and closing his eyes he refused to look at me.

"Well good thing I'm not just a pretty face and worked it out on my own." I smiled, trying to reassure him.

"Not all of it. I can't believe I trusted him and now you're here!" He sighed, rubbing his face roughly.

"What are you talking about? Trusted who? Jordan, I got here myself. I let them find me."

Now he was the one confused. "What? I'm sure you think that, but you were set up."

"No, I have this ring and it's meant to stop them from finding me with magic. I went up to the roof of this hotel I was put in by these demons who work for the Council of Treaty Keepers and took off. I wasn't set up, I did it." Now I was probably going to be lectured on being irresponsible.

"Hotel? Not from the underground jail they put you in?"

"No, when it was compromised Ailin got me out." I started to get worried now, what he was saying didn't make sense and how did he know I had been in jail when he'd been here the whole time? "What do you know?"

"I heard them, upstairs, after they were trying to find out if you were still alive!"

"Heard who?"

Heavy footsteps came from down the stairwell and having found his strength, Jordan sat up and pushed me behind him. It was a touching move, but at this point I was in better shape than he was and could look after myself. At first I thought it was Big Al as the hulk of a man came into view, blocking the light from the hall so his silhouette filled our cell. I held my breath, not sure what to expect and as he bent over I realized he had something in his hands. Two plates were put on the ground and pushed under the lower bar. With a grunt he left us.