TWO

the places you have come to fear the most

---

Beyoncé blasted from Carly's speaker, echoing through the empty house. Or, what Carly thought was empty.

She continued curling her last bit of hair, dancing in place to the song until Liam burst through her bedroom door. Carly screamed and threw her lipstick that she had picked up off the vanity at him.

It hit him in the face. He staggered back clutching his eye. Carly cursed at herself for attacking Liam but her heart was pounding. He'd scared the crap out of her.

She placed the curling iron down, switching it off, rushing over to where Liam was now lying on the ground. She rolled her eyes at the dramatics as he groaned.

"Ever heard of knocking?" She pulled his hand back. There wasn't a bruise forming on his eye but his ego was a different story. Liam rolled his eyes at the comment his older sister made.

"Why do you waste your time cheerleading when you can play baseball? Damn, sis. That was definitely a 90 mile per hour fast ball." Carly giggled at the young boy's exaggeration.

"Hey, can I get a ride to the game? I'm really nervous." Carly grinned down at her little brother. She nodded silently, ruffling his hair.

He had been chosen as one of the few JV to be brought up to Varsity with half the team being suspended. Carly couldn't have been more proud of him. Nathan had come over to announce the news a few days before. Liam had been in shock even though he played it off like he knew it would happen. But when Nathan left he jumped around the house, screaming 'I can't believe it.'

She proceeded to help him up. Brushing off his uniform and picking up her lipstick, she walked back over to the mirror. She glided it over her lips and waited for it to dry before grabbing her keys and bag off her bed and walking downstairs.

She greeted Liam once more, informing him that it was time to leave. She had wanted to go by the River Court to wish Lucas luck before his first varsity game. Liam had brought their "brother-sister mix tape" that had always hyped them up for any event they were going to.

--

She pulled up to the River Court and hopped out of the car. Liam had requested to stay inside the car when his favorite Jay-Z song came on. Carly rolled her eyes at the boy who jumped around in the seat, unaware that she was still watching.

She strolled over to the court where the guys were playing. All of them seemed to be encouraging Lucas about the game tonight. Carly knew they were excited about Lucas being on the team.

She walked over to where Skills and Lucas were standing. Skills had made Lucas warm up prior to warm-ups by shooting three's. Jimmy seemed to be counting down the minutes until it was 6:30.