NINE

every night is another story

---

The doorbell rang throughout the empty house. Carly rushed towards the front door. She pulled the door open with a bright smile, a smile that Nathan reciprocated. She granted him access to the house and shut the door behind him.

"My parents are out of town and my brothers went on a fishing trip, so it's just us tonight." Carly spoke. She proceeded into the kitchen where she opened the fridge, pulling out two bottles of water. She tossed one to Nathan, who caught it effortlessly.

"I like the sound of that." Nathan grinned. Carly rolled her eyes at his dirty mind, a light smile gracing her features. She bit her lip, "Maybe if we were actually dating what you are thinking might happen." She quickly walked up the stairs and into her room, leaving Nathan stunned in the kitchen.

When she stepped inside, she flinched at the words that had just spewed from her mouth. "Oh my god, what have I done." She panicked. Carly spun around to go apologize but was met with Nathan blocking the doorway.

"Be my girlfriend." Carly's heart began to race. She brushed it off and frowned.

"Very funny." She mumbled. She turned to her vanity, picking up the chapstick that laid upon the surface. Nathan approached her from behind. "I'm serious, Carls."

Carly looked at him through the mirror, his eyes were burning with sincerity. She sighed. "Nate-" She began before Nathan cut her off.

"Carly, I like you. Hell, I love you. And that scares the hell out of me... I've never had to rely on someone as much as I rely on you. You keep me going, you keep me sane. You mean the world to me. That other night, with that asshole at the beach house made me realize how much I want you to be mine. I don't want to ever see a man with his hands on you like that again. I know I suck at this whole feelings thing but it comes down to this... Will you, Carly Valentina Andrews, be my girlfriend?"

Nathan had gotten dangerously close to Carly during his confession, going as far as to take her face into his hands, wiping the stray tears off her cheeks as they leaked out of her eyes. For once in Carly's life she was speechless. She would always have a witty remark to say or a comforting one when needed but in this moment she was at a loss for words.

Her knees felt weak. Her mind was scattered as it tried to form a response. She looked up at him, a gentle smile appeared on her face.

"I love you too, you idiot. Now shut up and kiss me." Nathan laughed and soon captured her lips in his own. To Carly, it was a kiss to level mountains and shake stars from the sky. It was a kiss that makes angels feel faint and the devil himself weep...a passionate, demanding, soul-searing kiss that nearly knocked the earth off its axis. Well, to them of course.

The pair soon pulled apart, desperate for air.

"So, that's a yes?"

--