TWENTY FIVE

hanging by a moment (pt

hanging by a moment (pt.2) // i shall believe

✹✹✹

A car pulled up on the side of the road and Carly immediately climbed in. She brushed the tears out of her eyes and sniffled. Sam was quiet as he pulled away from the curb and back onto the road. The car ride was silent for a few minutes until Sam spoke.

"What's wrong Carls?" His eyes were sympathetic as he glanced toward her. "Did that kid say something mean to you? I can drive back over there and beat his ass if you want me to." Carly shook her head and hastily wiped the tears off of her face.

"No. I'm just being dramatic, like what's the deal? Suddenly I get a boyfriend and boys start liking me and then try to bring up stuff that makes me question my boyfriend and his loyalty?" Carly whimpered, "It's not fair."

Sam groaned, pulling into the driveway of their massive, two-story house. He put the car in park and turned towards her. "Look, do you trust Nathan?" He asked, eyeing the way his sister was slouched against the door, her knees pulled to her chest.

"I trust the Nathan that I know and what I see every day. But, I don't know if I trust the Nathan that's around his friends. I know it's a double standard but still." She picked at her nails. Her words tumbled out of her mouth, signaling it was how she actually felt.

Sam pondered her statement for a few seconds before nodding. "That's understandable, guys are freaking gross and only care about one thing." Carly rolled her eyes at Sam, annoyed with the dumb comment people always made about boys.

"But, I see the way he looks at you. And he really does like you, why else would he put up with me kicking him out every time he comes over." Sam smiled slightly, watching as Carly's lips quirked up. "And you're also quite the handful so he must really, really like you" He chuckled as Carly shoved his shoulder.

"Okay, okay. I'm better now. Thanks, Sam." She leaned across the center console of the car and hugged her brother tightly. Sam had been unsuspecting of the affection and froze for a moment before awkwardly hugging his sister back.

They exited the car and walked into the house. The living room was empty but there was a banging of pots and pans coming from the kitchen informing them that Liam was home. Carly entered the kitchen to find every pot and pan that their family-owned spread out on the counter.

"Um, hello?" She questioned, noticing Liam's frantic stature. He looked up at her in alarm. "Maya's coming over and I told her I would make her dinner. I'm making pasta but I didn't know what kind of noodle she likes so I'm making them all."

He began filling up another pot with water as Sam walked into the kitchen, standing behind Carly. "And you thought you were being dramatic." He chuckled before exiting the room and walking up the stairs. Carly grinned and followed him.