TWENTY TWO

crash course in polite conversation // pt

crash course in polite conversation // pt.2

---

Carly observed her outfit options that were laid out on the surface of her bed, debating. She knew it would be a long night, and her black heels were the comfiest but they didn't quite go with the striped dress she and Nathan adored.

She ultimately came to a decision and put the striped dress on her body, the dinner was going to be uncomfortable regardless of what she wore. She heard a car pull up outside her house as she swiped lipstick across her lips. She grinned as she heard the familiar "Hey Sis! We're home!" coming from downstairs. Her brown flats quickly found their way onto her feet and she went downstairs to greet her brothers.

"Hey, you guys!" She called as she got off the bottom stair and approached the kitchen. "How was the fishing store or whatever?" Carly asked gathering her purse from the countertop, sticking her tongue out at Liam as he rolled his eyes.

"Actually we went to the sports shop and got me new basketball shoes, courtesy of dad's new credit card he sent." Liam bragged holding the bag up from the counter and tossing her the box of shoes, causing her to awkwardly catch them and drop her purse.

Sam chuckled at his sister befuddled expression and sipped his sports drink. "Sammy got some new bike shorts too, he's gonna run around our neighborhood and scare kids." Liam chuckled and tossed the pair of shorts towards him.

"Some chicks dig the bike shorts, little bro, they give them a little sneak pe-" Sam smirked as Carly cut him off. "I think I might throw up so thank you for that... I'm going out tonight so you guys are on your own for dinner okay?" She asked, placing the shoes on the countertop.

"Yeah, that's fine. Where are you headed?" Sam asked as Liam grumbled about Carly didn't even look at the new shoes. Carly rolled her eyes, "Nathan's. Family dinner, why?" Carly adjusted the bag on her shoulder and looked in the shoebox on the counter.

"Figures why he's standing right behind you," Sam spoke unamused as Carly whipped around to face her boyfriend who stood in the doorway, leaning against the frame. Liam quickly launched from his seated position to show Nathan his new basketball shoes, causing Carly to laugh lightly. She eventually pulled Nathan away from her brothers and they walked out the door.

"And here I thought I was driving to your house myself. What changed your mind?" Carly teased sliding into the passenger seat. Nathan shut the door behind her making his way to the driver's seat.

"Three things. One, I love you. Two, my grandma would kill me if I let you drive there by yourself. And three, I have an excuse to leave with you in case things get murderous." Nathan started the engine and took off down the road eventually pulling into his driveway.

He turned to Carly in his seat as he threw the car in park. "You ready for this? We might not walk out of there alive." Nathan trailed off staring at the front door of his household. Carly giggled at his dramatics, "We'll be fine, but maybe give me a kiss goodbye just in case." Nathan's head turned towards her with a grin plastered across the surface.