TEN

every night is another story // pt

every night is another story // pt.2

---

Carly had lost the last bit of patience she possessed when Brooke began to throw her pom-poms in everyone's face. The tension in the car began to increase exponentially. Finally, Carly snapped. She spun around to grab Brooke's pom-poms and toss them out the window.

Brooke, instead of being upset, clapped at the motion. Carly rolled her eyes at the girl before turning around to face forward. She winced as her head moved a bit too fast for her liking.

Brooke leaned forward so she was in between Carly and Haley. "Don't you two like the same guys... or guy or something?"

"I'm just tutoring him, that's all." Haley remarked. Carly heaved a sigh, "Good. So you're not into him."

"She gave him the look!" Brooke shouted from the backseat, suddenly fascinated by the back window. Carly and Peyton giggled while Haley blushed heavily. "What look?"

"The 'I want to hook up after the game but don't want to be too obvious' look." Peyton stated, a sly smirk present on her face. "Just be careful."

"Be careful of what?" Haley asked. Her eyebrows were furrowed in confusion as she looked around the car for an answer. Brooke laid down in the backseat, giggling at her next statement.

"Carly, she's gonna beat your ass if you go anywhere near her boyfriend." Carly nodded in agreement, her eyes never leaving the road in front of her. "Boyfriend?" Haley scoffed. "Aren't you guys moving a bit fast?"

"Nope." Carly stated. "I also don't have to answer to you about my relationship, Haley." She sneered, if Haley was going to be a bitch about the Nathan situation then so would Carly.

The car held an awkward silence for a few minutes. Carly's head was pounding; she hoped Lucas and Nathan had resisted the thought of killing each other on the bus ride home. She had texted Nathan a few times in the past hour but received no response.

She breathed a sigh of relief when Haley spoke up once more, only this time her words being directed towards Peyton. "Well, what about you and Lucas?"

Peyton's brows furrowed. "What about us?" She responded. Her cheeks began to turn red. The three girls laughed at Peyton's attempt to brush off her obvious feelings.

"Oh, come on! Tortured artist meets tortured athlete? Talk about your obvious attractions." Carly playfully nudged her best friend. "Well, what about Lucas' obvious attraction to Carly? What was the line he used? 'Carly's looking pretty hot in her cheerleading uniform, but I bet she'll be even hotter when it's on my bedroom floor.' Nathan was seething." Carly bowed her head in embarrassment; she couldn't believe Lucas had said something like that, let alone in front of an entire gym full of people.

The laughter had died down and the four girls were once again met with silence, until the car began to ding, informing them that they were running low on gas. "I hear birds." Brooke mumbled.