TWENTY

the living years // pt

the living years // pt.2

---

Carly approached the entrance of Lucas' bedroom. She lightly tapped on the window of the door, shuddering as the silence of the outside world began to consume her. A grin spread widely across her face as he opened the door, allowing her inside and away from the cool breeze.

"Am I in trouble?" Carly asked, laughing at Lucas' somewhat distraught features. He quickly rolled his eyes and gestured for her to take a seat. Carly's brows furrowed, seriousness taking over, "Luke, you're scaring me. What's up?"

Lucas sighed, "Do you find me attractive?" He blurted out suddenly, causing Carly's cheeks to redden. "U-Uh, I don't- I mean... Yeah? Why?" She couldn't will herself to look him in the eyes as she spoke. There was no way she could laugh about this with Nathan, not after the reaction she received when she informed him about the incident with the kids she had tutored in the past.

"I mean not just physically, like mentally too. I-I like Brooke and all but she seems like she's bored of me and the things I like. We don't really connect you know?" Lucas rambled, pacing the room with his hands fisting at his hair. Carly followed his movements with a watchful gaze, ultimately sighing in relief when she discovered that this was simply about Brooke and Peyton as opposed to something more.

"Well, have you told her how you feel? Or do you just do whatever she wants to do because you think it will make her happy?" The silence Carly was met with gave her an answer. She sighed, "Luke, a relationship is a two way street, there has to be compromise otherwise it doesn't work." Lucas looked towards a spot on the wall, seemingly contemplating Carly's words.

"Unless... this is your excuse... for it not to work. So you can be with Peyton?" Carly chose her words carefully, her tone was suspicious and questioning. "Don't drag this out Luke, please. They're best friends... don't ruin that." 

Lucas looked at her accusingly, "Do you think I want this? Of course I don't want to mess up but you gotta see it from my perspective Carls!" Carly scoffed, growing angry at the boy, "Oh please Lucas. I can paint a perfect picture right here, right now. You want the one who just seems to get you, who looks at you the way no one else ever has, but when they don't want you back, you retaliate and go after someone who will take the edge off and will be a little fun. I know Lucas! I've been there, but it's not worth it. Wait for Peyton, the best one's always give you a run for your money even with a little emotional baggage."

"But what if Peyton isn't the one for me? What if-" Carly quickly cut off Lucas' excuses. "Lucas Scott, you're a junior in high school for god's sake it doesn't matter if she's the one or not!" She rolled her eyes and stood from her spot on the bed, embracing him in a hug. "Luke, I love you but you've gotta stop worrying so much about this. Relax! It'll all work out."